Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/7/2006 5:42:09 AM EDT
I can get the A-Frame from HarborFreight for $80

I can get the H-Frame from NorthernTool for $109

For AK work and pretty much anything else is there much difference?  

Anyone have experiences?

UPDATE:  Bought the H frame, need to put it together!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out the dimensions, especially the working range of each press.  IIRC the A-frame doesn't have as much working range.  this is important to me because I use a press for things other than gun building.  If you are only going to use it :crystalball: for AK building, then you would probably be fine with the shorter one, as long as it has enough range to press in barrels.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The "H" frame press is stronger than the "A" frame type.  Mostly because the "A" frame is a total bolt together where the "H" frame is bolted and welded.  These bolt together presses are made more for ease of shipping than handling HD work.

The best is the full welded "H" press like the HF 20 ton.  Of course this is my opinion and other people I'm sure have different ones about this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Just got the 12 ton H frame at Habor Freight for $88  using the coupon that is on page 2 of build it yourself.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top