Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 4:11:01 PM EDT
What is the best way to finish the upper rails on a bent flat to make sure everything is true and square? I was looking at some 100% receivers today at the columbus gun show and I liked the way the rails were cut. Just looking for some input here, I am having trouble seeing the forest for those damn trees.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
The most important thing I can tell you is to take your time.  There is a nifty accessory some of these guys have for the dremel tool that acts as a depth stop, to give you a consistent cut down your rail.

I just took my time with my dremel tool and a few cutting wheels.  I found it was easiest to make the start of a cut all the way along the rails, but not all the way through.  Then check to make sure it's straight, then cut more and more until you have the upper rails trimmed.  Use a good file for the remaining tight spots after you check the fit of the carrier.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I tried a Dremmel and worked too fast and sloppy and messed up the $35 receiver. I bought one of the Harbor Freight Milling machines, I hope that helps with my underfold that I still have to do.

The fixed stock receiver is trash, so I think I will fold an 80% Tapco flat and try to modify it. If it don't work it is jus another twelve bucks down the drain.

The best way to finish the upper rails is the way they do, on a milling machine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I cant afford a milling machine , although I do think that would give the best results. I definitely need to check out that dremel depth tool . I think that if I take my time with it I can produce something pretty close. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top