Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/31/2006 5:58:37 AM EDT
I know this has probably been covered before but I cant find it a Buddy and I are having a tough time getting the barrels back in to the trunion on our kits. Can anyone suggest the easest way or best way to accomplish this.                     Thanks in advance  Shotgunner45
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried the freezer / oven combo this week with a Romy G kit and the results were actually WORSE than just trying to push the two together by hand at room temp.

I ended up pressing it in with my 12-ton press. The tough part was getting the front trunion supported straight and even for a smooth push-in. Various sized steel blocks accomplished that.

Psuhing the barrel pin back in was much tougher than the barrel. SNAP! POP! BANG! But eventually in it went.

The barrel still looks *slightly* cockeyed to me but the pin is indexing it so it must be right.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Not possible, you must have done something wrong that you didnt notice.  How can shrinking the barrel diameter and enlarging the trunnion ID make it worse??
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I used the threaded stock through the barrel and it worked perfect.  Do a search or maybe someone can post a link.  You cannot go wrong for a few dollars.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You have to warm the trunion (HOT) up with a propane or mapp torch and soak the barrel in freezing water. We did it last night and actually only let the barrel sit in cold water for about 5 minutes. It went in half way with nothing more than me pushing it in my hands.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok guys same question but in reverse. I threw the barrel in the freezer and heated the trunion up to smoking hot with a torch... put it in a vice with pennies on the barrel and tried to knock it out with a 3lb hammer.  Nothing, not even a little.

Tried a few more times, not even a mm of movement.

No press over here so give me some inexpensive ideas.  Threaded rod for pulling it in, but what about pulling it out??

BTW, knocking the barrel pin out was easy. 3lb hammer and no soaking required...just gave it three solid hits.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok guys same question but in reverse. I threw the barrel in the freezer and heated the trunion up to smoking hot with a torch... put it in a vice with pennies on the barrel and tried to knock it out with a 3lb hammer.  Nothing, not even a little.

Tried a few more times, not even a mm of movement.

No press over here so give me some inexpensive ideas.  Threaded rod for pulling it in, but what about pulling it out??

BTW, knocking the barrel pin out was easy. 3lb hammer and no soaking required...just gave it three solid hits.

Thanks

Get yourself a pulley puller from an automotive shop for around $20.  

I also see that maasguns.com has them for $26.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, will do, thanks. Were you able to push the barrel out without any heating/cooling?  Is it strong enough for that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The gear puller method works great.  Eventhough I've bought an xbec barrel kit, I find it much easier to drop in a couple pennies and turn the wrench.  By far this is the simplest step to kit building (after that damn barrel pin is removed ofcourse).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
 I just used the dry ice/acetone method and it worked pretty well,
Publix sells dry ice for around $5 . break some into small chunks and put
in with the acetone in a metal can put the barrel end in and let it sit.
I tried heating the trunion but I think it will work better if you dont.
I had it around 250 degrees and it heated up the barrel too fast.
It went in about half an inch with no resistance at all but then heated up
and had to press the rest of the way.
I think just cooling the barrel will work better and the secret is to be FAST!
I made a fixture to support the trunion in the large english bar clamp I have
and it pushed it right in.
I also made a kind of box with a large screw on one end and a U slot on the other
the size of the barrel, just drop the trunion into it put some nickles and then a steel washer
under the screw and push it out. the box is made from 3/8 flat bar.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Any pics?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok, will do, thanks. Were you able to push the barrel out without any heating/cooling?  Is it strong enough for that?

Thanks

mykrowyre,

The pulley puller works great.  You should use a few pennies or nickles to protect the rear end of the barrel.  Nope, you don't need to heat or cool anything.  I use a cross type tire iron to turn it and put it into a vise to hold it steady.   You should probably put some oil in the barrel pin hole before you use the pulley puller to prevent galling of the barrel but I gues you should do this with any method for pushing the barrel out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:25:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the info guy much appriecated
                                              Shotgunner 45will let you know how it goes after Monday
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I did it. I found that exact puller at the autoparts store. Took me 15 seconds to get the barrel out.
Whooooohoooo! thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I did it. I found that exact puller at the autoparts store. Took me 15 seconds to get the barrel out.
Whooooohoooo! thanks!

Glad it worked out for you.  It's a pretty nifty little tool to have for building.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whooooohoooo! thanks!

Glad it worked out for you.  It's a pretty nifty little tool to have for building.

I have removed about 20 barrels with the pulley puller. I did modify the "jaws" slightly by grinding away a little. It grabs onto the trunion a little easier and less chance of slipping. BTW, I use my air compressor and impact hammer and it takes all of a minute to push the barrels through.

thanks,
Ron
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top