Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 4:32:41 AM EDT
I've been looking through the BIY files, and I'd like to try my hand at folding up some receivers (anyone in Austin?) but there are some questions I still have:

Is there any welding really required to complete a receiver, or do you just bend the flats and go?

What's the best heat treat method, or do the typical flats come pre-treated?

Does one bending jig handle both 47s and 74s or are the dimensions different enough to cause a problem?

Thanks!

Jay
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:02:07 AM EDT
Okay, so I found info on a heat treat method, and it looks like I found an answer on the receiver differences, but am I going to need a welding rig?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:25:21 AM EDT
The only welding that you would need to do is in the lower rails. However you can use small screws (I used 6-32) to install those, and for the first few builds I would recommend that method. I know that there are many little intricacies you will need to learn along the way to make your guns function right, screws make it a little easier to adjust those rails up or down.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:49:39 AM EDT
Thanks! Will those screw holes need to be heat treated?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:06:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By d10skeens:
The only welding that you would need to do is in the lower rails. However you can use small screws (I used 6-32) to install those, and for the first few builds I would recommend that method. I know that there are many little intricacies you will need to learn along the way to make your guns function right, screws make it a little easier to adjust those rails up or down.

I used screws on mine also. The way I did it (read it somewhere) use a 1/4 inch drill bit to lay between the bottom rail and top rail to make sure it is spaced and straight. Seemed to work pretty well.
Top Top