Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 3:36:18 PM EDT
What would be the cheapest way possible to do a build on a Polish AKMS underfolder kit, using a 100% receiver + screw build?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Build it with rivets.  It really doesn't cost much to do a rivet build versus a screw build and you'll be a lot happier afterwards.

Here's what I calculate as the minimal amount of tools you'd need to do a rivet build...

24" bolt cutters = $9 or so on sale at HF
4" angle grinder = $15 or so on sale at HF
5" vise = $35 or so on sale at HF
drill press = $40 or so on sale at HF

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#2]
weld ...U-drive....ask if there is going to be a build party in your area so you can rivet.....
Have someone do it for you....or just buy one already assembled and save yourself all the pain and trouble..
Like breaking the tap in the hole!!!...Misalign the holes....Get the build  bug and so much for cheap...Just cheaper..
and tapeo1 forgot one very important tool.....The Dremil
OH and screws look real cheap...Atleast with U-drives""Still cheap in price"" it looks like its been  riveted
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You're right, I forgot the dremel.... you definitely need a dremel tool for anykind of AK work!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it possible to use a hand drill?

I replaced my SAR2 FSB with a threaded FSB with nothing but a hand drill and a hammer.  Redrilled the slots in the barrel for the pins, etc.  No problems.  Could the same be done with the trunnions?

I know it's risky but anyone done it?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is it possible to use a hand drill?

I know it's risky but anyone done it?

Yes it is possible......
I'm am sure others have done it....Working  with what you have...
And yes ......RISKY
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
weld ...U-drive....ask if there is going to be a build party in your area so you can rivet.....
Have someone do it for you....or just buy one already assembled and save yourself all the pain and trouble..
Like breaking the tap in the hole!!!...Misalign the holes....Get the build  bug and so much for cheap...Just cheaper..
and tapeo1 forgot one very important tool.....The Dremil
OH and screws look real cheap...Atleast with U-drives""Still cheap in price"" it looks like its been  riveted

GAH!! i did that!! and it looks so bad!! and there's no way to get it out

so now im just gonna rivet the rear trunnion, rear two on the front, weld over the tap and drive screw the front two.

don't do screws...it aint worth any money you may potentially save. and it don't look good....
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top