Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:51:14 AM EDT
Check out Curtis' www.ak-builder.com

He's going to make flats and rails for Polish Underfolders, M92s, Bulgy sidefolders, etc, which have the correct hole placements, where some of Tapco's are a little off (hammer. trigger guard holes, etc). The tapco rails don't have the mag stabilizers on each side like his will. I have read of several people on this forum who have had problems with their mags sticking out tilted to one side, and I assume these rails (properly installed) would stop that problem.

He is setting up to make his own. He has already "converted" some of Tapco's flats as well.

I have not yet built from his flats, but I have ordered and used various tooling that he offers and have been extremely pleased with the results and his service. He has always shipped immediately on in stock items. Curtis has always answered my questions when I call and has been very friendly and helpful in my own learning experiences.

Not meaning to make this sound like an advertisement for Curtis, but I can honestly say that I wish I had found his website before I blew my $$$ on tooling that was more expensive and less user friendly than his.

Looks like builders will soon have an alternative to the tapco flats and rails.

FWIW

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have delt with Curtis in the past and I don't think anyone can complain about his products...

If his flats are as good as his tools......
Ak-Builder
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I, like everyone else has been waiting, waiting and guess what...waiting.  I'm sure that when his flats are ready to be sold they will be of good quality.  However....still waiting.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
if I may ask, whats wrong with Tapco flats. i just bought a stack of them. i got them with no trunnion holes just in case.
I'll be using them for both 47 & 74 builds.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
nothing is wronge with them. some people just think they could be better.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I have used nothing but the tapco flats so far, and they work but.....

hammer holes are a bit too high.  Sometimes it requires grinding/polishing the hammer to have lessened friction between it and the bolt carrier to ensure good function.

the trigger guard holes are off, which sometimes causes a pita when fitting mags. Curtis recommends enlarging the holes (slott'n to the rear) a bit if the mag fit problems occur. once riveted it will not move.

the tapco rails do not have the mag stabilizers on each side which can cause a tilted mag, and the predrilled holes in them requires slotting in order to get the rails high enough to line up with the locking lugs in the front trunion (at least in my experience).

none of these issues are show-stoppers and there have been countless builds done with the tapco flats (I am NOT attacking them).....but some may be looking forward to trying a product that is a little better, more "correct" or user friendly (I am).

Also go look at his website and look at his pre-order flat pages where you can see the differences between a regular flat, a polish underfolder, a Yugo M92, and a Bulgarian sidefolder.

A little more model specific than a tapco flat.....

Whatever works is the bottom line. I am not going to sell or replace the tapco flats that I have with others, but I am interested and looking forward to trying Curtis'.

Sort of like trying a new pocket-size cellphone after using the car "bagphone" for a decade.

FWIW

Oh yea. Also, all of the center supports (except Curtis') that I have seen (probably all from the same source) measure 1.175" in length and have no slot to help keep the bolt from hitting it. Curtis' measure 1.150" and have the slot. I may be seeing things, but the larger length center supports seem to bow out the reciever a bit. I think the 1.150" length is correct.

Again, FWIW

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top