Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/13/2006 5:00:42 PM EDT
hey everybody. I just wanted to ask if we have any maryland builder here? I have a friend from maryland who wants to build an AK with me. he wanted to know what kind of stipulations he has to navigate to legally own and build.

any help would be cool
thanks
Flint
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
its a relatively simple 3 step process:

1. move out of MD

2. build your AK

3. enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
anybody?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as I know it's legal. I think there is a week waiting period if you buy the receiver pre-made plus extra fees (assault rifles). Also 20 rd magazines only. Just follow the ATF's guidelines.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I could have swore he just bought an SKS sunday....looks like he's got the itch now.

the 20 rounders are easy enough to find.  I think MD requires a training course for posession of "assault weapons".  Maybe it's just pistols, but i can easily accomodate for the cost of the NRA materials.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
yup, he just did but he now really wants an AK
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
i live in Maryland and you should not have any more problem here than VA or most other states as far as putting an 'ak' parts gun together, with the final product that looks like an 'ak-47' but semi-auto and has a lot of non-original parts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
hmm....looks like the fro might be getting an AK.

Run Whiteys.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As far as I know it's legal. I think there is a week waiting period if you buy the receiver pre-made plus extra fees (assault rifles). Also 20 rd magazines only. Just follow the ATF's guidelines.

Bingo! that is correct.  If you want 30 round magazines just go to a VA or PA gunshow and buy them legally.  They are legal to own, you just can't BUY (or receive them) here in MD.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
.. I think MD requires a training course for posession of "assault weapons".  ....

The 'course' <Cough> BullSHIT Brady Propaganda video<Cough>  Is only needed if you're purchasing/transferring a controlled weapon (any handgun or any semi-auto rifle that is on 'the list' - completed receivers are included).

You can avoid this by showing your DD-214 if you're a vet or your ID card if you're an LEO or current .MIL (includes National Guard).

If you buy an 80% receiver you don't need to watch the video.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

News to me.
MD residents can posses any mags, with any capacity.
Mags over 20 rounds cannot be bought and sold in MD though.
So if you want to get 30 rounders, you have to go to PA or VA.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#11]
That'll be easy enough for him, he goes to school in PA.  Keeps his stuff off campus in my safe.  Should be easy for him to find his way home with a bunch of 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
hey club. I can't believe you posted that Pic. that one is hilarious.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top