Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/13/2006 4:16:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 4:16:52 PM EDT by SSDriver]
Ok I'm currently do a romanian ak build and want a nice finish on it to match the receiver with the rest of the rifle. I am going to refinish all of the metal parts. Whats a good do-it-yourself finish ? Thanks in advanced.

-William
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:22:42 PM EDT
dura kote
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:57:23 PM EDT
I like Molyresin.

Here's a great thread about refinishing. I learned a couple of things from it myself
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:58:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By schornstinefager:
dura kote

Do you have any pictures of it? Also does it come in a matte finish? I have seen a newer rifle with a dura coat camo job and it looked kind of shiny.

-William
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:58:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2006 5:07:26 PM EDT by ark-and-spark]
Wow delayed double tap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ark-and-spark:
I like Molyresin.

Here's a great thread about refinishing. I learned a couple of things from it myself

Wow that stuff does sound great. I just orders a quart of flat black. Thanks that definitly sounds like I can do it at home with great effects. Thanks again

-William
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:30:47 PM EDT

I like Molyresin.

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:02:25 AM EDT
If I bake Molyresin in my home oven, is it going to funk up the place and bring down the wrath of the Mrs. upon on all earth...?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:18:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MNGuns:
If I bake Molyresin in my home oven, is it going to funk up the place and bring down the wrath of the Mrs. upon on all earth...?

It stinks a little. But it dosent stick around long and it shouldnt P.O. the wife to badly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:19:31 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SSDriver:

I like Molyresin.

Wow that stuff does sound great. I just orders a quart of flat black. Thanks that definitly sounds like I can do it at home with great effects. Thanks again

-William

Just make sure you sandblast for best results.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:44:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 3:47:14 AM EDT by schornstinefager]

Originally Posted By SSDriver:

Originally Posted By schornstinefager:
dura kote

Do you have any pictures of it? Also does it come in a matte finish? I have seen a newer rifle with a dura coat camo job and it looked kind of shiny.

-William

that newer rifle was probly mine my first atempt at dura kote i screwed up aand orderd the wrong clear and ended up with a high gloss spraying it with matte clear will fix that my second try was a cz with digital green frame and skull ive tried both moly and dura they each have there own down falls when i tried moly some of the colers were not compatable you couldnt blend for diffrent shades without getting pigment to add. The manufacture also told me i had to fully cure before applying a diffrent color witch also made it take longer 3 hr between colors instead of 20 min maybe things have changed in the past couple of years with it will have to read some of these threads
Top Top