Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/11/2006 7:50:02 AM EDT
I've spent the last three weeks (approx. 2-3 hrs./day) researching building my own AK variant.  I used to own an Egyptian variant long ago, but wasn't impressed with the canted front sight post and overall quality (for some reason I never even THOUGHT about just fixing it...hinking.gif), so I eventually traded it off.

Now, after browsing the pics/articles on several AK forums, I've decided that I just can't live without one anymore...lol.  I now have a new, Romy kit from TAPCO with all the compliance parts waiting to be built, plus 3 Yugo underfolder kits on the way.  I figured I'd build one of the underfolders, and sit on the other two for a while (figuratively, of course, the front sight block would make an unusual Hari-Kari story...lol).  I'm not a big fan of "kit hoarding," but I didn't see anything wrong with trying to sell the other two in a year or so, trying to recover some of my investment in the first two builds.

These will mainly be "SHTF" builds, but WILL get shot most weekends.  I would also like to add, that after browsing through literally HUNDREDS of pics, this one has to be my favorite; it's 18BSOTTM's M92.  (I'd post a pic, but haven't figured out how to do it on this forum yet, if someone else is the "pic master," I would appreciate the pic in this thread for reference :)).

Also, I'm an aerospace CNC machinist by trade, so I just can't leave well-enough alone.  I'm COMPELLED to make some of my own parts...lol.  So here's the bulk of my questions thus far:

I wanna make a krink look-alike.  Not for the collectability aspect, but just for the coolness factor.  I don't care much about having an ultra short barrel (I'll probably design build either a fake suppressor or a cool flash hider to keep within the 16" legal limit), but I definitely want a krink-like front sight block.  

Tell me if this will work (if you know) and what problems I might run into.  I want to take a standard Romy or Yugo barrel, and use an AMD gas tube/piston.  As far as I can tell, this setup would put the gas tube ending at around the end of a standard length handguard.  I'll be using the galil-style handguard, so there's actually no upper handguard piece to deal with.  I will also make a krink-style front sight/gas block to get rid of the "AK-triangle," as I call it.  I also want to cut the barrel off at approx. the end of the front sight block and permanently install a fake can or long suppressor.  How exactly does the gas port interact with the block?  Will the AMD tube/piston length function correctly at that length will a normal length barrel?  I'm assuming I'll have to make a new gas port in the barrel, but how will I plug the old port? Weld?

I'm a pretty competent machinist/welder/fabricator, but I'm no gunsmith.  Any help, tips, or feedback would be greatly appreciated.  

BTW, AWESOME site, this is the only one I've bothered posting this question on.

-WRM
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
You should post this over on gunco.net.  Those guys are the undisputed kings of AK modification.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top