Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2006 10:29:31 PM EDT
I was down to my last rivet to drill out on my yugo UF.  It just happened to be the long rivet in the front lower trunnion.  My bit broke off about 3/4 way it and managed to get jammed up inside the rivet shell.  I've gone through 12 drill bits, titanium and cobalt trying to get the mess out.  

What else is out there that will cut through and clear this mess out? All the bits are doing is spinning on both end and making it smooth and polished inside.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
try a fresh cobalt bit with some cutting oil
i have not been impressed with any titanium coated bit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
the titanium broke off inside.  3 brand new cobalts and oil didn't do squat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#3]
You will not be able to drill through a drill bit......Take a small pointed punch(NOT harbor freight) and shatter the bit ...this is a time consuming process and you only get a little bit out at a time ..good luck
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you turn it over and drill in as far as you can till you hit the broken bit? add oil, heat it up and try to push/press/beat the entire mess back out opposite the way the broken bit is in. Don't hit on the broken bit, it will only swell the rivet and make it harder to move.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:53:06 AM EDT
[#5]
sinker EDM.

LOL, a good solid point punch is really your only option unless you have a friend with a sinker EDM. of a high speed drill (dremel will work in a pinch) and a solid carbide drill. but I wouldn't risk a carbide drille because they're friggin expensive and very brittle.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:17:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll try all the above.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
punched it out.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the same thing happen to me . I tried everything till I finally got tired and said the hell with this motherf$%ker is going to pay. I pulled out me hilti shot pin gun , loaded it with a green blank and 1 1/2 inch nail and shot it right out . it turned the drill bit to dust and pushed out the rivet all in one shot
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had good luck drilling out those long rear trunnion rivets using a carbide bit. Drill through halfway, flip it over and drill through the rest of the way from the other side. This will help keep it straight.

Edited to add:

Cobalt bits are great as well. The key is to take your time and keep it lubed. Don't let it get too hot. Take your time!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
When drilling out saiga shotgun conversions we were advised by an ol' airman to use paraffin ( wax ) for a lubricant.

LB
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:07:48 PM EDT
[#11]
LB,

That's an interesting lube to use!

Glenn
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:50:05 AM EDT
[#12]
another usefull tip is to fill the offending hole with tap magic tapping fluid and let it soak for the night then go at it with a carbide bit. the tam magic actually softens the metal, but since you'll be getting rid of the rivet anyways it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:01:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had the same thing happen to me . I tried everything till I finally got tired and said the hell with this motherf$%ker is going to pay. I pulled out me hilti shot pin gun , loaded it with a green blank and 1 1/2 inch nail and shot it right out . it turned the drill bit to dust and pushed out the rivet all in one shot

You sir are a GENIUS!
That is what makes this site great.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

"Hey 'yall, hold my beer and watch this!...."
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top