Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2006 11:59:49 AM EDT
Been lurking about this site for some time, absorbing all the knowledge but I got a few questions.
Okay, I am looking to build a cheap romanian ak (first build) using the parts kit and either a flat or a prebent blank.
1) What kind of accuracy should I be expecting, at lets say 100 yards? Will I be able to group within 8-10 inches or what?
2) How is the quality of thse part kits, is barrel usually always pretty good? (Is it chrome lined?) I have been looking at the copesdist.com website, they seem to have fairly good prices on handpicked with the G2 trigger group included (124.99). good place to buy from?
3) On meeting US compliance, I know the trigger group is 3 parts, but i see a lot of pics on here with the stock pistol grip, so what parts are they replacing? I was thinking about the piston and possibly the PG, is this the cheapest route? ( I know I need 5 parts, and already have taken into account the 3 trigger parts)
4) How long u think the these romy kits will last at the prices they are now? Thinking about doing this build in the summer so will they still be around then?

Sorry to bombard you all with questions, but thanks for taking your time to read this. Any info is much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I would buy now, as with everything they dry up sooner or laterand price will go up or they will dissapear (try to find a G3 or Cetme kit) I once was buying russian SKS's for 65$......  
That deal with the G2 trigger is the way to go. Yes they are chrome lined, and my kit was unissued.. brand spanking new looking but a few minor wood dings that added what i call character, barrel perfect.  Maybe pay the extra for the hand picked if you are worried, but i wouldnt wait too long.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#2]
On meeting US compliance you can easily get your parts by replacing:

receiver (obviously)
fire control group, 3 parts
muzzle device, about $10-$15
piston, around $15-$20
pistol grip
mag body
mag floor plate
mag follower

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for all the info, but what about accuracy??? What kind of grouping would you expect??
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a rifle put together from a Romanian kit and I was getting 5-6 inch groups off the bench with 154gr SP Wolf. Which means with my shooting skills that the rifle can probably shoot 3-4 inch groups.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
With a muzzle device you need 6 U.S. parts not 5.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had a rifle put together from a Romanian kit and I was getting 5-6 inch groups off the bench with 154gr SP Wolf. Which means with my shooting skills that the rifle can probably shoot 3-4 inch groups.

Wow, that is pretty nice for a cheap romy. I was hoping to use this as a cheap coyote gun, something with a little more knockdown than a 22 h=85%

Quoted:
With a muzzle device you need 6 U.S. parts not 5.

Yeah that is what I thought, thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I just got a romy kit from TAPCO , the thing doesnt even look like it has been fired . Came with the G2 trigger group , and the bluing is near 100% . Not bad for $125!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#8]
My AIM Surplus kit that went into my first AK was about perfect when it came to the metal. The wood was a little marked up by the torch. The Tapco kit I bought a few weeks ago has perfect wood and decent metal. It was a great buy with the G2 FCG.

If I can find my damn tools, I moved a couple of weeks ago and the jigs and bolt cutter rivet tool are still packed away, I plan to put one together this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
wow, it seems all of the romys are in excellent shape. I have yet to read anywhere of a bad romy kit. Damnit I would be all over this if I had not spent my tax return on a ruger MKIII 22/45 pistol, now i got a wait till I have some money saved up. Hopefully within the month. Damn you bills, college, rent, I hate you all. Maybe i should drop out and just spend my money on fun things hough,) That is why I was planning on waiting till this summer, though if the supplies start dwindling, i may need to jump on this and grab myself a romy kit.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - A few romy kit questions
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top