Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 6:45:02 PM EDT
I had to work a lot faster than when i used liquid nitrogen but i still did it.
I finished up my Romy receiver and was antsy to put the barrel in. I didnt want to go get dry ice so decided to try with what i had in the garage. I had a 1 pound can of r134a freon. I took the can and poked a small hole in the top (about the size of 1/16 drill) with a awl and immidiatly tipped it upside down in a styrofoam cup to let it pour out. (too large a hole and it will come out too fast and fly all over) I then heated the trunnion with a propane torch to about 300F while i had the barrel end boiling in the freon. After the boiling stopped (indicating i met the lowest temp i could get) i slipped it right in... Again! Well i had to work a lot faster because it locked up in about 7 seconds.
Now this tells me the dry ice idea i told you all wil work like a charm because dry ice/alcohol mixture is a lot colder than 134a freon. 134a boils at -15f
So for those of you who want to try this, just take some 220 emery and polish up the barrel of bit to remove any burrs, finger a bit of emery in the trunnion hole, and go down to the auto parts store to pick up a few cans of freon.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:35:37 PM EDT
I did the same thing to my G43 back in Dec of 2003.

The Dry ice/alchol mixture is what I used too, I used and industrial Heatgun on the reciever. for fear of damaging the reciever by using Flame heat.

I'm glad you pulled it off using Freon. I'd think that Dry ice/alchol would be cheaper though.

Congrats,
Jason
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:22:58 AM EDT
that's a great idea but... when 134a went through the roof last year I stocked up.it is like liquid gold around here. I took a recovery cylinder and coiled a 1/8" copper tube between my 30lb. cyl and my recovery cyl. I used some 404a it is alot colder(used in some freezers that I service) this way I can keep re-using the same refrigerant in my copper coil. it takes about 5 seconds to chill the barrel so it slides right in. after I dig it back out I'll post a few pics. A/C season is just around the corner . I do like the dry ice idea!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:33:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:48:19 AM EDT
wow, i didnt know it went up that much. I had a dozen cans in the garage i bought 2 summers ago for dirt cheap. But hey, it was cheaper than driving 50 miles round trip to get the dry ice and i wanted it NOW! LOL. It wouldnt have been that expensive if i hadent punched to big of a hole in the first can and lost grip of it ... it scurried across the garage floor and by the time i got to it ... empty lol
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:24:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
last year I was paying about $65 for a 30lb cyl. when I stocked up in august it was around $300 for a 30lb cyl. the supply house told me a plant blew up somewhere.R22 went up also.but not as drastic. also 134a wont harm the ozone...but I wouldn't off it anyway
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:54:30 PM EDT
If you buy at the auto parts store you might want to get the stuff without the dye leak detector, that stuff is nasty!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:41:01 PM EDT
I dont know what you guys are getting for 134a but i just checked and found it for 3 bucks a pound!!!
Hell i can still get 1lb cans for 5 bucks on ebay all day long. 30 pound cans for 120 bucks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:43:35 PM EDT
Top Top