Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 7:06:19 AM EDT

Planning my first build, but I have a question... suppose a future ban against "assault" weapons or evil features is passed because the soccer moms are running in fear from their delusions (again)... how can we prove that our home built rifles are pre-ban (assuming thats even considered in the future)?  Would it be better to get a 100% receiver and keep the receipt as proof of manufacture date? Document the date is was built?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The same way the Feds kept up with preban and postban weapons, by the serial #'s on the receivers of the guns. If you have a fold it yourself gun receiver, you better have your flat receipt. If it is a 100% receiver, then the FFL will have a date of transfer and the manufacturer will have the date of manufacture. No problem unless we get the deal that Austraila got stuffed with.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I stamp the date I folded it on the inside, under the hammer. (before I folded it) It would be hard to do that later and look as good as it does on mine.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure how this would protect you since you could fold one tomorrow with last year's date.

I guess every little bit helps though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#4]

How about the old photograph with a daily newspaper trick ?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The same way the Feds kept up with preban and postban weapons, by the serial #'s on the receivers of the guns. If you have a fold it yourself gun receiver, you better have your flat receipt. If it is a 100% receiver, then the FFL will have a date of transfer and the manufacturer will have the date of manufacture. No problem unless we get the deal that Austraila got stuffed with.hr

What did the aussies get stuck with?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally think the next ban attempt will be on ammo type not the actual guns.  I predict an attempt to ban intermediate cartridges.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The same way the Feds kept up with preban and postban weapons, by the serial #'s on the receivers of the guns. If you have a fold it yourself gun receiver, you better have your flat receipt. If it is a 100% receiver, then the FFL will have a date of transfer and the manufacturer will have the date of manufacture. No problem unless we get the deal that Austraila got stuffed with.

What did the aussies get stuck with?

Confiscation.
The pussies didn't even resist.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How about the old photograph with a daily newspaper trick ?

Yep, better save old news papers now, ya know, for future builds.

In this country we are SUPPOSED to be inocent until proven guilty, but unfortuinatly they will convict us if there was any way possable that we cheated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#9]
A postal stamp is the best way of proving on or before a carton date.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The ban on ammo may have already started. What happened to all the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.5 ammo? I think they're already limiting the number of cheap, imported AK ammo coming in. Just my .02
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A postal stamp is the best way of proving on or before a carton date.

I don't understand how this will work.  Are you talking about saving the packaging your receiver flats came in?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
i think this is the effort of the great barrel ban.  back when the AWB went in, no individuals were really building rifles, it was more a an import/company restriction.  no that any joe blow can build an AK, or a G3 or an AR, it would have to be something more.  maybe a ban on 80% receivers or flats..
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#13]
A ban on flats or 80% receivers would be annoying, but not the end of the world.  Just cut and drill the holes and then bend your own.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Also you've got to break this mindset that we've all adopted.... far too often.

YOU do not have to prove when you built it.

THEY have to prove you built it after such a ban were one to pass.

YOU automatically are legal and in the right until proven otherwise.

It's an important Constitutional principle to not allow yourself to be robbed of.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#15]
The two most hysterical bans I'm thinking of, the one in California and the one that they're trying to but likely won't (hopefully) get through in Maryland this year which mimics it, gave current owners a grace period to register and keep what they had. (In California this has resulted in an estimated 300,000 law-abiding citizens becoming de facto criminals because they didn't register what they had.) Other than that, probably wouldn't hurt to save your receipt or packing slip. A postmark isn't going to prove what was in the package and a newspaper photo only proves the picture was taken after, not before, a certain date. I like the idea of stamping the date in the receiver as well, even though it can't be proven its a true date it still looks good.

Right now public opinion seems to still be swaying in favor of gun owner's rights and away from the likes of the Rebecca Peters (aptly named) and Bim Jrady's of the world. But I also think they sense an opportunity to push their agenda with the growing anti-conservative backlash being whipped up by the left.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
i think this is the effort of the great barrel ban.  back when the AWB went in, no individuals were really building rifles, it was more a an import/company restriction.  no that any joe blow can build an AK, or a G3 or an AR, it would have to be something more.  maybe a ban on 80% receivers or flats..

yeah i think you're right. Just watch, first it will be 60%, then 40%, then none. Don't count on most of the domestic manufacturers to lobby against it either, we saw that during the Clinton ban. Some of them seemed tickled pink to see the competition eliminated by government fiat.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The ban on ammo may have already started. What happened to all the 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.5 ammo? I think they're already limiting the number of cheap, imported AK ammo coming in. Just my .02

From what I hear its all going to Iraq and Afghanistan to equip the new armies there. Don't think for a second that the domestic ammo companies wouldn't just love for it to continue though. Imagine the profits they could reap with all the AK's and SKS's out there and no foreign competition.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top