Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 5:46:15 AM EDT

ok, I'm dying for an underfolder.  I've decided I can either install an underfolder on one of my WASR's for around $130, or I can spend a little more on a dark bore underfolder kit.  Question is, what are the chances of getting an old lead pipe for a barrel in dark bore -vs- something I can actually clean up and use?

I've never done a build but a cheap dark bore underfolder kit would be reason enough to try.  Should I build an old romanian kit instead?  

Also, can a milled receiver underfolder kit be built on a stamped receiver (I'm guessing the trunions are not included, etc)?

Suggestions? Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The milled receiver ones are a PITA to mod to fit the stamp receiver.  I think someone posted on it a while back.

If this is your first build, maybe get a 100% receiver and see how you like assembling it from there.  I've bent several receivers (all Tapco brand) and enjoy welding the rails in and grinding it down to fit, but I'm weird that way .

I hosted a build party this past weekend and had a good turnout of people.  See if your area has one, maybe even start one.  Get enough people with all the correct tools in one place, that way, you don't have to buy it all yourself.

Many of the 'dark bore' rifles can be cleaned up to be great shooters.

Best of luck and keep on searching these threads for more info.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yugo receivers cost more and you run the gamble of getting an unusable bore.  I have several Yugos and really like them, but they cost more to build than it first appears.  I invested quite a lot in the crapshoot to  finally end up with what I wanted.  My advice is to get a Yugo because you want a Yugo, not because you are lured by what looks like a bargain.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#3]
****Thread Jack:

If I wanted to start/call for a build party in my area (Dallas TX), where should I go/post?

End of Thread Jack****
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
home town button

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet, never even noticed that little button!  I haven't been here that long anyways.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering a polish underfolder kit from gunthings.  I think I'm going to do the drive screw build since it's my first and they seem to be holding up well.  Will probably go with a 100% receiver unless I can find someone who builds in Tampa, FL and is willing to help me bend a flat and weld rails.  I'd love to do the whole deal from a flat but I can settle with a pre-built receiver if I have to

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#7]
It's your gun, but reccommend using regular rivets and buying a UF cut receiver if this is your first. It adds some work to have to make a UF receiver out of a fixed stock receiver. Not so much you can't do it but it would make your first very tuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#8]

So you think I should build from a flat?  I won't have any way to weld the rails... I have a mig welder but no spot welder.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Polish underfolders deserve a factory receivers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]

What do you mean by factory? 100%?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top