Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:12:00 PM EDT
I want to build my own AK. Other than making sure I use no more than ten imorted parts are there other things to observe? For instance, If I make one using a receiver flat do I have to file any forms to get permission to manufacture the receiver from a flat? Also, If I make my own receiver then how do I register that firearm? If I buy a finished receiver that is registered can I sell the weapon? Thanks for any answers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
unless laws in your state are wierd, there's no paperwork you need to do or permission you need to get to make your own receiver. the only reason you'd need to get a manufacturer's liscence is if you wanted to make the receiver for the purpose of selling it. doing it without any paper work means you cannot make one with the intention of selling it, only for personal use. but, this doesn't mean you cant ever sell it, you just cant be planning on doing so when you make it.

phew.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You are in PA, you are clear.
No laws to obey that are different than the Federal laws.
No, you don't have to "register" your gun with anyone.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#3]
"theoretically" If I were to build my own receiver then that gun doesn't exist. As far as uncle sam knows, I will not own it. Uncle Sam usually gets pretty upset about people keeping secrets. If I am understanding everyone, then it's cool provided I don't sell it?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#4]
THat's the basic idea at least from a Federal perspective.  Because you won't have serial # place of manufacture etc on it, selling it doesn't work, but yes you can bend and build for your use as long as you comply with the parts rules etc.

At least from my understanding of the law in this matter.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Not absolutly sure about this, but i think that if you ever do sell it, it has to have your name, city, state, caliber, and serial no. struck on receiver.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"theoretically" If I were to build my own receiver then that gun doesn't exist. As far as uncle sam knows, I will not own it. Uncle Sam usually gets pretty upset about people keeping secrets. If I am understanding everyone, then it's cool provided I don't sell it?

yes, but it's not really a secret, everything is on the up and up. It's all legal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's the thing though, when you buy a kit from InterOrdnance or Center Fire Systems, or who ever, they records of all transactions. When Inter Ordnance sold some sub-machine gun kits that wheren't quite cut to ATF specs, beleave me, ATF had no problem at all finding every one of them. IO sang like a canary!

Buy from small dealers, buy at gun shows, pay cash, use postal money orders and have it shipped to a fake name at a friends house. Have it sent to your neighbors house, then watch on Quantum view to see when it will be delivered, that day go over and mill about infront of the neighbors house (while he's at work) when UPS shows up, you sign for package with fake name.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's the thing though, when you buy a kit from InterOrdnance or Center Fire Systems, or who ever, they records of all transactions. When Inter Ordnance sold some sub-machine gun kits that wheren't quite cut to ATF specs, beleave me, ATF had no problem at all finding every one of them. IO sang like a canary!

Buy from small dealers, buy at gun shows, pay cash, use postal money orders and have it  shipped to a fake name at a friends house. Have it sent to your neighbors house, then watch on Quantum view to see when it will be delivered, that day go over and mill about infront of the neighbors house (while he's at work) when UPS shows up, you sign for package with fake name.

and just like the real jimmy hoffa i see him disappearing in a short time
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy from small dealers, buy at gun shows, pay cash, use postal money orders and have it  shipped to a fake name at a friends house. Have it sent to your neighbors house, then watch on Quantum view to see when it will be delivered, that day go over and mill about infront of the neighbors house (while he's at work) when UPS shows up, you sign for package with fake name.

Why? I have not advocated doing anything illegal. I am only talking about preventing some unscrupuos person or persons from illegaly inventorying your collection against your will. Is that a crime now? Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is that a threat against my life?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#12]
nope just dont be suprised if an admin here bans yah or atf boys bumrush you for saying to give a false name when buying weapons just a warning man thats bad juju

no threats on you though man sorry it came out that way
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:26:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
nope just dont be suprised if an admin here bans yah or atf boys bumrush you for saying to give a false name when buying weapons just a warning man thats bad juju

no threats on you though man sorry it came out that way

I wasn't talking about buying weapons, just 80% receivers and or parts / parts kits. Huge differance!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top