Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/25/2006 4:35:27 PM EDT
guys, i was changing mags and the pin that keeps the mag release on the rifle fell out of my wasr.  i have the pin, spring, & lever.  How do i fix this?

it looks like the spring needs to be compressed first before fitting it in that slot and trying to put the pin back in.  I don't have any special tools and i think it will fall out again if i don't do something besides put the pin back in.  I am thinking maybe some jbweld?  how about a bolt with a nut and some kind of locking washer?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, that is odd,  Do you have access to a vise,Ballpeen hammer?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
i don't have a vice but i can get the hammer.  i do have needlenose pliars
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]
A vise would be a plus. I just assembled a mag catch a couple weeks ago and I could not imagine doing that without a vise. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
How would i vise help?  I think the major issue is getting the spring to bend right so i can line up all the holes.  I think i am SOL.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
How would i vise help?

To compress the catch back in place. You simply line up the spring and push the catch back in place. If you can do this with your thumb, you're more of a man that most. Be careful, springs tend to go flying when you least expect it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Its kind of hard to explain the way I got mine back together but Ill give it a shot.

**Put on some safety glasses please!**

1)Put the gun in a vise with the trigger guard up because you are gonna need both hands.  

2)Slide a nail or punch that is slightly smaller than the pin through the spring and set aside.

3)Put the mag catch in place and slide the pin through one side of the guard and one side of the mag catch BUT keeping the end of the pin flush with the inside of the mag catch so as to allow the spring to slide into position in the next step.

4)Now position the spring and over the trigger guard with the nail resting on top of the guard. The spring ends should be oriented toward the gun with the longer end toward the trigger. Now use the mag catch to compress the spring towards the guard (you may have to use a flat blade screwdriver to push the spring end down as you push the mag catch).

5)Now the spring is compressed ...time to push it down into position. While keeping the mag catch parallel to the inside of the trigger guard(if you don't keep the catch parallel the spring will shot out or down)pull the nail out of the spring and push it down carefully into position.....use the nail you pulled out to help get it into position by chasing it through the pin hole that is open. *This may take a few attempts to get the spring into position without it shooting to the bottom*

6) Now tap the pin through and let the pin push the nail out....

7) now use a hammer to pen the ends of the pin so the damn thing dont come back out.

Its a PITA the first time you do this but I can now get a spring back in in less than 5 min. after doing it a few times...you can do it just be patient.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone for the help, esp zzdroptop for the detailed tips.  it gave me more progress.  how much do you think a gunsmith would charge to do this?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#8]
ok, after giving it a few tries every day, i got it in.  you're right, after you know the trick you can get it in less than 5 minutes!  what do i do about the pin?  Is this where the vise comes into play?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
you said you could get a hammer. You'll also need abroad pointed Center punch (Not a nail set) and a solid surface to put the trigger gaurd on.

You're gonna need a helper

With the rifle laying on its side with the "Solid Surface" underneather the mag catch pin take the Center punch and reflare the pin so that it tightens against the hole in the trigger gaurd.

You'll need to do this on both sides, after flaring it see if its still loose. If it is the other option would be to take a Tig welder and gently flow material from the pin to the trigger gaurd.

If you weld it you'll have todo one side.

If you have to weld have a bucket of water handy, once the welding is done dunk the the mag catch area into the water befor the excessive temps take the tension outta the spring.

HTH,
Jason
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top