Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 6:42:00 PM EDT
OK...Some food for thought for those of you still using dupli-coat Hi Temp...
I was there too till this evening..
I bought me a testors airbrush set#8821X at walMart for 15 bucks 5 month ago on sale...About 20 regular price.
2 weeks ago I recived 2 bottles of Norrels moly resin...One flat black and the other stainless..
This evening I actually used the black.....
That Cheapo air brush actually  worked liked a  Champ!!!
Put on the latex gloves  and mask and glasses....
I degreased the parts with walamart brake cleaner and let them dry...
Hit them with the norrels F-black...Dries real quick...a light and funky medicinal smell to it...
Now time to BAKE in the wifes oven.... DO I need to explane what happend
I  stunk up the house but not nearly as bad when I use Hi-temp...Less smell and no smoke and a 300 degree 1 hour bake time....
End result....Never again will I use Hi temp....
If your a REAL cheap bastered ,,NO you can't beat the 6 dollars a can but if you spread your spending like I did...You too can have a sweet lookin and very durable finsh.
Example...The selector usally scratches the dupli when moved from fire to safe on the first stroke....Norrells...Nothing worn thru yet.
Its not that hard to do...I did it...And if you can build an AK..This is within your skill level .
Also..Don't get  a cheap dust mask but spend the extra buck and get the 3M carbon mask..
I did'nt hear the colors speak to me this time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
MolyResin is great stuff. I use the black semi-gloss myself.  You will get the selector marking at some point though.  The cool thing about it is that I've yet to find a solvant that can harm it including brake cleaner and acetone.  I use an even cheaper airbrush than you... I use the $5 (on sale) Harbor Freight one.  Here's a pic of a Polish AK (mag was not refinished) I recently refinished in the black semi-gloss....

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
sweet looking finish.  I'll probably use MolyResin in semi-gloss too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just getting ready to order some of this.  Are you guys removing the old finish or just going over it?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I removed all of the old finish with a sand blaster and then "parked" with Jasco Prep & Primer, then sprayed with MolyResin.  You get good results without the park too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:02:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I did the same thing as tapeo1...But a couple weeks before...Thats why I degreased the rifle....
You don't have to go HIGH dollar on a park kit...Jasco works very well for the application of being a base for the moly to stick to...
It is just too easy....You really have to be cheap,,,Lazy,,,,Or have no facilities to be able to do it....Or .....YOU JUST LOVE THAT HI-TEMP....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I've done a bunch of AR's and other weapons with Moly-resin, and am at the point where I am thinking about refinishing my pre-ban Norinco. I don't have a sandblaster, and am concerned about shooting the moly-resin over the old bluing.
I was thinking about getting one of the cheap sandblasters that Harbor Freight has, as I probably won't be using it too often.
Is blasting it completely necessary, or will the Jasco work over the original finish?
Also, how far down did you disassemble the AK? Mine is a preban sidefolder, and the stock looks like it's hinged on a rivit. I'm wondering if I can get good results without complete disassembly...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If you got a pre ban....I would re blue it to maintain the collector value...A chinese side folder with shit brown plastic ....I would not recomend any further dissasembly other than basic dissaembly like you do for cleaning....removing the furniture and bolt carrier.
My  refinishing  was done on former kit guns.
Reciver had front and rear trunnions installed
Barrel assembly  and reciver were left separated for refinshing....My oven is to small for a compleate assembly to go in so I did it in sections.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, I had debated the wisdom of refinishing a pre-ban, but, the value is really moot, as I will NEVER sell it. Period. Therefor, it's value is effectively the $225 I paid for it so many long years ago...(wish I had bought twenty of them!). It has seen a lot of field time, and is starting to show its age.
Tapeo's rifle looks so pristine in the shot above, I just...get....jealous!
I have other blue'd rifles I want to refinish with Norrell's (Like an old Steven's .308, and a very worn '94 30-30), so I'll probably get a blaster and practice on them first.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Got any kid's???Leave them a valuable piece of hardware when your gone....
Or how about that  OH SHIT...I need some cash...why not get the most you can..
But If you really want that moly look then do it....BLAST AWAY.......
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, being that you have a pre-ban chinese, I'd consider having it reblued myself.  If that's not an option, then I'd go with MolyResin.  I've heard great things about Gun Kote too but I've never used it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 on the flat or semi flat black Molyresin over sandblast and Jasco.  It is impossible to describe how good it looks.  Flat black is very close to Colt AR15 black.  Pictures dont even begin to to it justice.  And those Testors airbrushes are just right for doing AKs.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top