Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2006 6:21:33 AM EDT
I have hit a snag on my Polish kit build. After refiting the barrel and pining it I checked the headspace with my go and no go gauges. Using the methoud of marking the bolt and trunion looking in the mag well it looked like I had a problem as the marks were too close for comfort after closing the bolt by hand( no recoil spring and extractor over the lip on the guages). In an effort to see just how bad things might be I tried something diffrent and would like any comments you all my have on what I think I am seeing. I took the bolt out of the carrier and just used it alone to check for rotation and full lock up looking at the bolt from the top with the carrier out of the way. What I found with the go guage was that the bolt lug fully rotated closed and there was play between the lug and the back of the trunion locking cut out. With the no go gauge the bolt lug stopped just short of fully colsing but not by much at all. And there was absolutly no play at all. I think that this means that the headspace is right at the edge of the SAMMI spec no go gauge. I am going to recheck with a field spec no go gauge if I can find one. Am I good to go on this one or am I too close to the edge here?
Goose
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:46:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WildGoose:
What I found with the go guage was that the bolt lug fully rotated closed and there was play between the lug and the back of the trunion locking cut out. With the no go gauge the bolt lug stopped just short of fully colsing but not by much at all. And there was absolutly no play at all. Goose

From everything I understand about headspace, that is what you want. Sounds like your headspace if fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:46:48 AM EDT
just go test fire it 3 finger goose

im just messin your good to go :)

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:17:22 AM EDT
Thanks socandyman. That's the nick name I was looking to avoid. Along with cooked goose, smoked goose and my all time favorite dead goose. You were one of the people I was hopeing to chime in on this one. I have learned a lot from your posts over the last year. My Romy G build had such a tight headspace on it the only thing it would close on was a dummy round. This one even though it is matching and in all but unfired condition has what appears to be a rather loose headspace. Darn near too loose. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't getting stupid. Or is that stupider?
Top Top