Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 5:54:21 PM EDT
I am thinking about milling the bulge off the yugo trunion. Is this a bad idea? It would leave about the same amount of material that is on a Romanian trunion. I am thinking about doing this or trimming the receiver to fit right below the bulge and then weld where the two meet. Thanks for all the great ideas.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
If you machine off the bulge flush with the rest of the trunion, I think it will be skinnier than a regular AKM front trunion. The yugo receivers are made with 1.6mm thick sheet metal, so the trunions are about .6mm smaller in width.  Most other stamped AK's are made with 1mm thick sheet metal. Its possible to use .3mm shims on both sides of the trunions to get a tapco flat to work. Or just don't grind all of the bulge off. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
DCI
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I know of a person that used a Tapco flat with his. He cut around the original receiver where the buldge is. Then cut the Tapco receiver to fit around it and welded it to the original receiver part on the buldge. TIG welded it at that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
DCI

+1000

www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

If you don't want to go with that, try one of the Yugo blanks out there...

bentmetal.homestead.com/4130info.html

www.gunsgutsandgod.com/akreceiverblanks.htm

Just don't go milling a perfectly good trunnion.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top