Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 9:30:25 PM EDT
Got the front trunnion in again, no 32nd" off on the left side but the bottom "legs" of the trunnion still stick out very slightly. Rear sidefolder trunnion is in. NOW I find that the reciever looks to be warped. The front trunnion looks like it swerves off to the right and the right side of the reciever is higher than the left. Can I just put it in a vise and twist it till everything squares up? Waiting on Form 1, too deep into this one now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:53:21 AM EDT
email global
tell them your rec is out of spec and you need it fixed or replaced
tell them you already sent in your form 1 so you will need a new rec with the same #'s if it needs to be replaced

its heat treated you cant just bend it back
its like a spring and will just go back to orig shape unless you stress the metal (you dont wanna do)

when you make as many recs as they do your bound to have an Oshit every once in a while
ive found that they are vary helpfull in fixing any probs you have
and for future ref always measure your rec befor you start your build (befor you buy if you can)
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:10:00 AM EDT
I would call them...I had a reciver that was screwed and they did good by me,,once they verified that I was not the cause of the warp....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:42:26 PM EDT
All the above...and:

SOMETIMES you can get away with torquing it as you install the trunions (or trunion and tang block for the purists). I had one that was slightly warped (a GT in 762). I drillled the front holes before I noticed it.

I took the rear block jig I use and torqued the receiver in a vise. I clamped the front trunion, then placed the rear block jig in the rec (correctly placed with the dust cover). Then torqued the reciever til it was straight...clamped the rear block in place and drilled. I'm sure this will only work with a warpage that is in one direction only (if you can twist it back into place with a MINIMAL amount, then it can work).

The slight amount of torque needed to straighten it was held by the trunion and rear block. You can still tell a slight bend in it if you look closely, but the gun runs fine.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:59:22 PM EDT
Having had this situation occur to me about five times....

You have a twist in the receiver, as opposed to bad warpage. For reference? I've often gotten the same from OOW...

Now, it CAN be "counter twisted". Yes, this IS very much like twisting a spring - it's a matter of feel, and it needs to be SLIGHTLY overdone to get everything where you want it once the force is removed.

I've done this by doing the following: Clamp REAR trunion (already riveted) into your vice, padded with a rag. Use a large Screwdriver as a pry bar, apply force on the FONT TRUNION counter to the twist. Overdo this a bit... remove, examine, do more, remove, examine....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:30:04 PM EDT
Thanks guys. As usual , this is the place to go when you need to know.
Top Top