Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 9:55:13 PM EDT
I've got spme kits that are in really nice shape in terms of the finish, and I'd like to just finish the receiver to match prior to assembly and touch up the rivets.

What finishes have you guys had luck with to match the Romy fixed stock finish, the AMD finish, and the Polish underfolder kits that came in over the summer?  I'd like to find something I can spray on from a can since I'm going to try and do these jobs myself, and I couldn't find anything w/the search option.

I think that the AMD might be the high-heat barbecue paint but I'd like to know what's recommended for the others.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the Duplicolor paint.  I got mine at my local WalMart and have done 5 kits on 1 can so far.  I have 3 more waiting to be finished, so I can tell you if one can will last that long or not.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:48:48 AM EDT
[#3]
John Norrell Arms, phenolic resin  is not  that expensive...
23.00 for an 8oz bottle and its ready to use ,ow oven temp...300deg
and a Testors air brush kit about 20.00 from wally mart and your oven...
Excellent results.
You don't have to buy it all at once..I did'nt...
The looks and durability........
Yaeh....I have used Hi-temp but not anymore after using this!
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_price.asp
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
How many guns would 8oz do (not just the receiver)?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, but how does it match?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
John Norrell Arms, phenolic resin  is not  that expensive...
23.00 for an 8oz bottle and its ready to use ,ow oven temp...300deg
and a Testors air brush kit about 20.00 from wally mart and your oven...
Excellent results.
You don't have to buy it all at once..I did'nt...
The looks and durability........
Yaeh....I have used Hi-temp but not anymore after using this!
http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/molyresin_price.asp

I agree on the Norrells MolyResin.  It works out to much cheaper if you buy the quart for $50.  Also, if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, you can buy one of their airbrushes for $5 when they're on sale.  

I do like the looks of the duplicolor 1200 paint but I wasn't entirely satisfied with how it held up to solvants - it started to lightly rub off with Hoppes#9 and this was after I baked it in the oven.  Like I said, it does look good though.

You pretty much need a sandblaster to remove MolyResin.  Solvants don't touch it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Using this:

I get this:

The receiver is what I painted, the top cover and selector are original Romanian finish.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I do magnesium phosphate parkerizing for the romanians, and for my polish items i'll be adding a coat of either semi-gloss black molyresin or duracoat atop the park job--probably the latter, because it's *MUCH* easier to apply--no pre-heating of the parts, and no baking necessary.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I looked at the Romy kit again tonight and it looked like it might be blued over park, or am I just looking at a greasy, Cosmolene-covered park job?  

For the Polish guns, maybe the Gunkote over park would work for the receiver, I'll just have to find out if I can get the receiver parked locally.  

Me:  "Hi, I'd like to get this AK receiver parked..."
Gunsmith:  "Move along, son, I won't touch anything like that w/a ten foot pole!"
Me:  "It's registered..."
Gunsmith:  "I don't care, if it ain't USGI/Glock/1911/S&W/(insert favorite brand here) it ain't $hit, and Iwon't touch a damned assault weapon!"

That's what kind of crap I run into out here in the People's Republic looking to get work done on AWs.  Man, I can't wait to move.

Like I mentioned, since these kits don't require a refinish in their entirety, I'd like to just do the receiver.  Plus, I know we're never going to have truly authentic rifles, but if I can get the finish pretty close then I'll be happy.

dalesimpson, thanks for the photos, that's a BIG help.  Derusto... I'm guessing it can be found easily?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I get the Derusto from Big Lots.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I painted my AKS74 with duplicolor engine paint, its worked out great, durable and solvent resistant. I'm not set up for finishing so i just went with that. I'd prefer gunkote or duracoat though and will refinish it when i get set up for sandblasting, parkerizing and air brushing. McM

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top