Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/4/2006 6:33:57 PM EDT
Where do I start....

This receiver has been kep in my gun room for over a month now climate controlled and ready to build. I pulled it out a week ago and started installing my trunions and trigger guard. Today I notice it has taken on a "twist" very similiar to warpage.....nothing has been pressed on it nor has it been crushed or tweak ..YET. Any clue on this one???

Next...

Attempting to install the bolt carrier and bolt assembly however the top rails do not wish to cooperate...I understand that stamped receivers need some help but this unit is being a complete PITA...Due I need to file more off the top rail to let the bolt clear? Am I suppose to trim in another notch in the top rail for the bolt head itself to make it past the top lip and into the rails?

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
don't know about any of the warping issues, but if you have the bolt in the carrier and it won't go it, it might be that the ejector needs to be trimmed a SLIGHT bit. mine did and that fixed a lot of clearance issues i thought were in the top rails.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have only worked with two diffrent recievers. One Ewbanks and the other a Gobal Trades. The Ewbanks required quite a bit of filing and tweaking to get things to fit up compared to the GT. My guess is that the trim out for the bolt head that allows you to drop in the bolt/bolt carrier assembly is a bit tight and does need just a touch of filing. I also found than on the Ewbanks when fitting the bolt and carrier into the reciever it helps to tilt the assembly a bit and slip in one side and then the other. As for the twist. In both cases the recievers had a very slight twist from front to back but it has never been an issue afer all of the parts have been fit up on the receivers. In my limited experience I have also found that it takes very little filing to get things to go. I took my time and filed a bit and then tested for fit up until things went where they were supposed to go. I will try and throw in a pic of my first finished Romy G kit. It was done on an Ewbanks Gen II.
Goose

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/GuzziRider/th_IMGA0034.jpg
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:07:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Wildgoose - That is the exact issue - I cannot get the bolt and carrier into the receiver and I hate ot keep filing away material that cannot be put back on. I have been doing the file and test method for the last 3 receivers but this one is just being a real pain.

I did see on another site where the builder actually filed in an access point for the bolt further down the rail...I wonder if this will cause issues for the carrier as it cycles?

I already fitted the ejector -so it is not the bolt traveling within the rails that is a problem...its getting the combination of bolt and carrier installed into the receiver that is giving me trouble.

This is a Gen 2 Ewbanks receiver...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont think that it would hurt at all. On the Golbal Trades reciever it came with the sides of the top rails done that way. If you notice the top rails have a slightly rounded contour with a flat spot on the inside edge. I would file down an area just long enough to accodate the bolt head on each side. By removing some from each side it will minimize the filing to each one. It will also keep you from taking away to much of the rounded top area where the bolt carrier itself rides. It would seem that the rail area on the bolt carrier itself is long enought to bridige the gap there but if you could leave a solid run for it it would be better. At least I think so. I will try and post a pic of the way the Global Tardes unit is done for you a little later today. I will have to hunt up the digeital camera and such.
Goose
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:33:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea when I built my second one the bolt carrier was tight.

I had already trimed the ejector and before I rivited the trunions it moved very smoothly.

I noticed the top rails were bent down a bit so I hit both sides with the file until it went sorta smooth and then I oiled it it and cycled it several times.

After it freed up I installed the FCG walked out the back door and ran a mag thru it.

after 30rds it was cycling very smooth so I fired anothe 90rds thru it to be sure.

After having no issues we finished it, and she hasnt had a jam yet.

Good luck, and if you can try a post a pic of the warping your talking about.

I dont think mine was warped I just think the top rail could have been pressed better.

FREE
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#6]
to get the bolt carrier to slide you must file off some of the underside of the top rails.

The bolt will go in there, with a good wack, no need to file a slot for it, but you can if you want to, just don't over do it.

and the ejector is to long, it will cause the bolt to not slide into the trunion (twisted sideways, so file down the ejector untill the bolt doesn't get pushed to the side as you close it.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I just finished building one myself and found it needed a little tweaking to get right.  The first thing I did was clamp the trunnions in place and tried cycling the carrier without the bolt.  A little filing was needed on the top rails just forward of the center support.  Next filed the ejecter so the bolt will clear.  I thought it best to leave everything a little tight until final assembly, and it will probably loosen up anyway.  Its hard to install the bolt and carrier after riviting.  I have been inserting the right side and giving it a little pop with the heal of my hand.  My Global receiver has a notch on the left top rail for the bolt to clear, maybe I'll try that.  If you are building a 7.62 you need to file the tab on the left lower rail for you mags to clear.  The x and y axis holes needed a little work with a 7mm drill bit although a file would work.  After riviting everything together a little minor fitting to get it just right.  Go slow you can always file more later if it isn't right, but you can't put it back on.
This was my first build and I didn't think it really was that much work, very little filing except for the mag stabilizer thing.  I shot 300 rounds this week and it ran like a champ.
Where did you buy you receiver?  I got mine from Scott at DPH.  He is more selective about selling quality products.  My order got delayed as he had to send back a warped batch of receivers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Double posthock.gif
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#10]
In your original post, you stated that the receiver was READY to build, implying that it wasn't built/assembled yet.

Sometimes there's a little spring in the receiver- make sure to install your trunion and tang before coming to any conclusion as to whether the BC will fit.  The trun and tang will spread the upper rails out a bit.

They will be a little tight at first, but a little polishing or just plain shooting the piss out of it will get it to run smooth.

Might be off base here on the unassembled thing- sorry if I am.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Eyegun.....The receiver is a complete receiver  - I installed the trunions and its still bowed....I can think of nothing to fix it other than replacement. if it runs fine I will have no issues but I have not reached final build yet...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top