Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/2/2006 6:01:25 AM EDT
I have decided to start on a first build and wanted to get some advice.  All I have for an AK is a SAR-1 right now.  I'd like to do a KRINKOV, but they seem to be pretty expensive even in a parts kit.  I'll probably start out with a Yugo underfolder or Romanian kit.  If I'm not getting in over my head, I'll probably end up doing 3 or 4 of them.  Would I be better off buying one of the jigs and buying flats?  I'm just afraid of investing a bunch of money in that stuff and being more than I can handle.  Or would I be better off buying the receivers already bent which I assume would be quite a bit more expensive and would have to pay a transfer fee for each one.  

I was looking at centerfire systems for the kits, but I'm not really sure where to look for the receivers.  I just need a little advice and some links to sites for receivers.  Thanks.....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest try a build from a 100% receiver first even though I've never built from a flat. I got my receiver from Scott at DPHarms, it was a Eubanks without trunion holes drilled. I also bought the trigger jig and it only took 2-3 minutes to rivet the trigger guard with a press. I bought my receiver for $50.00 and I think most dealers would charge (1) transfer fee per shipment so you could get 3 or 4 at a time if you are building that many. The stickies at the top of this forum with answer a lot of questions you have.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I also would strongly suggest doing at least your first build with a 100% receiver without trunnion holes drilled.  After you get comfortable with that, then you might want to invest in tooling to do the flats.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done both & flats are a HUGE amount of work compared to a pre made. Buy a Ewbanks from DPH as has been mentioned & build that first. Honestly, unless you're just nuts about the "process" more so than the "results" there's not much reason to build on flats. Obviously, the lack of paperwork is attractive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm going the flat+jig route because of the rising costs of recievers.  By the time you buy a reciever for $70, FFL xfer fee, and shipping you are approaching a C note.  The economy of scale where 2 or 3 recievers starts to outweigh the costs of jigs and tooling.  I figure that if I can convince 3 friends to build a reciever and ask for a small donation fee for the tools/jig cost I'll end up with a $15 reciever and free jig.

Oh and the valuable experience of knowing the process front to back
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Iwould start out with a Romy kit, then move to the more expensive ones...if you like.

I have built 5 Romys on pre bent recievers.

I have a question about this..At what point do you have to have a reciever registered.

I mean if it were an AR...you could buy an 80% reciever..

If your reciever isn't heat treated and is just bent with the rails installed, and the center bar..Wouldn't that be about 80%?

Does anyone make a prebent reciever that doesn't have to go to an FFL?

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Cold Steel has prebent recievers with no holes drilled. With a good template, patience and a drill you can easily build one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.gunco.net/gallery/data/501/DSCF2301.JPG
This cost a $150 built from a flat .that in the good old days when evey body had 'em
the best thingto do is start from a flat because if you messed it up you can trash it and it only cost $12 copmared to $50 + transfer fee .You can always sell the jig for what you bought it for
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#8]
"At what point do you have to have a reciever registered..."

If it was a 100% complete receiver, you should have purchased it via a Form 4473 or State equivalent from an FFL.  That's the "registration," at least as far as the Feds go.

Flats or 80% receiver builds require no registration as they are "personal use only" firearms.

HTH
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Thats what I thought...

But I havent seen any 80% recievers?

Do you have a source?

Thanks
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top