Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/31/2006 3:26:10 PM EDT
Hi all, I was just thinking of some way to get myself an underfolder without breaking the bank or making life difficult. I was wondering if it would be possible to switch a Yugo barrel (ie buy a cheap UF kit with a sewer barrel) with another country, ie Romania. I've got a Romy G barrel that still looks pretty good on the inside, but has been stripped of FSB and gasblock, but still has the rear sight assembly. I was just thinking that I may have an easy fix, provided the Romy barrel will fit in the Yugo trunion, and I could play with it to get proper headspace with the bolt. So, what do all you experts think? Is it possible? Is it practical? Any input would be great. Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
It can be done, but every dimension of a Romy barrel is different than a Yugo barrel except for the trunnion diameter, the bore diameter and the muzzle brake threads.  The Yugos are larger in diameter and the distance between the trunnion and the handguard retainer is longer.  So, if you do this, you will have to use the original Romanian front end parts.  You will end up with a Yugo back and a Romy front.  Also, Yugo receivers cost more, so you aren't likely to save any money.  

Here is a link that gives that dimensions of all barrels except the Yugo. barrel dimensions The Yugo is the same as the listed Chinese barrel except that the Chinese uses a 19mm trunnion (instead of 24mm) and has a shorter handguard (the retainer journal is farther forward on a Yugo).  The diameters are the same at all the journals forward of the trunnion (RSB, HG retainer, GB, FSB).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a ton Ozzy. I guess I'll just have to figure out something else. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to score a Century built Yugo complete, or if fortune smiles, maybe a Vector, or even better a Homebuild Polish kit. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a ton Ozzy. I guess I'll just have to figure out something else. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to score a Century built Yugo complete, or if fortune smiles, maybe a Vector, or even better a Homebuild Polish kit. Thanks again.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top