Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 10:39:57 PM EDT
I remembered reading on Pookies webpage that you really should be using swell neck rivets on all the holes on your builds, I know that you really only need them on 2 holes on a fixed stock & UF, but why would you not want to use swell necks on the entire gun, and what if you did not use any swell necks, I am not knocking the guys selling them in the EE, but I refuse to buy a set of the EXACT number of rivets I need for 1 gun, when I can buy both rivets in bulk, for the front and rear for about the same price and throw about 100 of them away.........my real question is should you use all swell neck rivets or not use any at all....thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:52:46 PM EDT
I only use swell necks on the spots where the trunnions indicate. If you look at a trunnion, you can see where the swell necks go. For example, on a Romanian trunnion, there are only two swell neck holes which are located near the mag well. The other trunnion holes are for non swell necks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:11:08 AM EDT
With the vibrations and "torque" involved with any weapon, I'd think that the swell necks would keep everything tighter as they would fill the rivet holes completely, no gaps or margins to let the rivet move in the hole.Madyechcool
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:54:03 AM EDT
tag, I wondered that too
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:06:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rentprop1:
I remembered reading on Pookies webpage that you really should be using swell neck rivets on all the holes on your builds, I know that you really only need them on 2 holes on a fixed stock & UF, but why would you not want to use swell necks on the entire gun, and what if you did not use any swell necks, I am not knocking the guys selling them in the EE, but I refuse to buy a set of the EXACT number of rivets I need for 1 gun, when I can buy both rivets in bulk, for the front and rear for about the same price and throw about 100 of them away.........my real question is should you use all swell neck rivets or not use any at all....thanks

Where are you getting them in bulk for the same price? Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:46:45 AM EDT
actully found like 383 pcs for the front and 195 long ones for the rear for under 14 bucks shipped, I dont want to trast the guys on the EE so PM me and I will fwd the link to the company....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:06:16 PM EDT
I don't use swell necks anymore. It's a PITA and totally unnecessary.

Also, if you use a GT receiver, try dimpling it. It's a hardened receiver and a major pain to dimple. If you don't dimple for your swells, the head will sit obviously high and look stupid.

In a few words: just don't do it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:39:08 PM EDT
I use flats for my receivers, well posted on 2 different boards, the general concenses is that there is no need for swell neck rivets, unless someone can prove me wrong, some of the guys said they used only what the kit calls for, what the hell is that WHO calls for that.....

as for those of you who PM me about link for rivet sources.....
and I got about 10 messages and more comming, I am going to order some for myself and then I will reveal the links in the post, one of the EE guys got his pantys in a bunch and that probably thought I wanted to start to sell them as well, the truth is I am hosting a build party in less than 1 month and just want to be prepared, no one wanted to help me about a year aog when screw builds were becomming popular, no one wanted to list the sizes of the button head screws, so I bought a pack, measured and went BULK, I got 100 of the same screws for $ 2.68 less than what I paid for just the number required for the kit. My biggest beef is they give you the exact number needed, not one extra, what if u drop one ?? I will post the link after I secure some for myself so I get mine first, it's really no secret just do a little research on the internet, and phone work and ask the right questions, there is a $ 50 min at most places, but I found a way around that...

AS I POSTED.... I HAVE A REAL HARD TIME BUYING A PACK OF THE EXACT NUMBER NEEDED FOR THAT PRICE, its really about $ .39 cents worth of rivets, I know a lot of you only built 1 or 2 guns thats a deal for you, but I want to have plenty just in case

thanks to you guys that posted your info, just an FYI the swell necks are very hard to locate and not currently in stock, and from what I see you really dont need them...like I said earlier, unless someone could prove me wrong
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:42:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 8:43:32 PM EDT by Rentprop1]

Originally Posted By tapeo1:
I only use swell necks on the spots where the trunnions indicate. If you look at a trunnion, you can see where the swell necks go. For example, on a Romanian trunnion, there are only two swell neck holes which are located near the mag well. The other trunnion holes are for non swell necks.

my point is are you looking from the back side, the swell neck would be on the outside, looking from the outside of the receiver your are looking at the same drilled diam hole, you just drilled it with the same bit, its the same hole as the top 2 holes on the front trunion, why do u feel you need a swell neck in there, cause on the romy to 2 holes closest to the mag have a chamfer or recess on the back side, the swell neck will not help you here..........please explain " on the spots where the trunnions indicate "
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:04:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Eyegun:
I don't use swell necks anymore. It's a PITA and totally unnecessary.

Also, if you use a GT receiver, try dimpling it. It's a hardened receiver and a major pain to dimple. If you don't dimple for your swells, the head will sit obviously high and look stupid.

In a few words: just don't do it.

Just how do you "dimple" a hardened receiver for swell necks?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:43:00 AM EDT
just put a 1/4 bal bering in the bolt cutter squeesers and dimple them or use the press
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:13:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 10:14:50 AM EDT by tapeo1]

Originally Posted By tapeo1:

my point is are you looking from the back side, the swell neck would be on the outside, looking from the outside of the receiver your are looking at the same drilled diam hole, you just drilled it with the same bit, its the same hole as the top 2 holes on the front trunion, why do u feel you need a swell neck in there, cause on the romy to 2 holes closest to the mag have a chamfer or recess on the back side, the swell neck will not help you here..........please explain " on the spots where the trunnions indicate "

I'm not saying that I feel it's necessary to use a swelled neck rivet anywhere. I'm just saying that I use a swelll neck rivet on the trunnion holes that have a beveled edge around them such as the ones near the mag wells (on a Romanian Trunnion). I really have no idea whether they're needed or not. I'm just saying that's what I do because that the way the were originally assembled.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:49:12 PM EDT

...one of the EE guys got his pantys in a bunch and that probably thought I wanted to start to sell them as well...

Quite frankly, who cares what he thinks? Posting that information is no different than someone posting information to Midwest Armory, Centerfire Systems, Ohio Rapid Fire, or any other of a host of vendors in response to someone's need for information, parts or supplies. I understand that those folks want to make money, and more power to them, but we want to save money or get needed equipment.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:41:12 PM EDT
no problem just let me get mine then I will spill the beans, I ordered them today
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:24:20 PM EDT
Fair enough. I leave the panty wadding to my wife
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:13:35 PM EDT
I see guys selling complete rivet sets. How do you tell what is swell neck and what isn't. If some holes need swell neck rivets and some don't, where do you find mixed sets? How do you tell the difference between swell neck and non swell neck rivets? Most all of the build instructions I've read here call for swell neck rivets. This is a little confusing and I'm preparing to try my first rivet build.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:26:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
I see guys selling complete rivet sets. How do you tell what is swell neck and what isn't.

Here is a look at both types

If some holes need swell neck rivets and some don't, where do you find mixed sets?

There are plenty of reputable vendors here in the Equipment Exchange and elsewhere that will sell you both. Some will even tailor it to your specific kit.
Top Top