Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2006 10:41:06 AM EDT
I have a nice Ironwood Maple buttstock that I've spent a lot of time on, but unfortunately the holes for the screws were drilled in the wrong place. I need a good solid material, maybe like an epoxy or something that I can get from the hardware store. I need to be able to plug the existing holes, and then redrill new holes that are touching the existing ones. The originals are only off by a tiny bit, but it's enough to make the butt loose and wobbly. So, what are some things you have used for similar things? Again, I need to be able to get it local, and I don't want to spend a ton if I don't have to. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:18:52 AM EDT
I'd either use an epoxy to fill the holes, which would be cheap and easy, or if you are brave, you can drill them out a little and put plugs in them. Then redrill.

Personally, I'd go for the epoxy. No one will see it anyway.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:33:27 AM EDT
drill the holes out 1/64 undersized
and beat in a 3/8 dowl coverd in wood glue

let it to dry atleast 24 hours it will be just as strong as if it was never drilled
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:52:43 AM EDT
Thanks guys. Socandyman, I'd like to follow your advice, but unfortunately I don't have access to the majority of my tools. I may just have to go with the epoxy method, but let's see what I can do at the hardware store. They may have relatively thin dowels I could use to plug the holes at their current sizes. Any more ideas??
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:28:42 PM EDT
I have seen wood repair epoxy at the hardware store that would probably work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:47:07 PM EDT
Just carve a small stick that fits snug in the hole. Cover it with glue and cram it in. Tap it in tight. Wait over night and you will be set to do what ever you wish. I have plugged holes 10 years ago with toothpicks that are still holding today. Just don't use wood that is too soft or too hard.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
Dowles - absolutely :) I must have done this 7-8 times, and it works VERY well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:19:43 PM EDT
Thanks guys, I went out to the hardware store and picked up 2 dowels. I wasn't sure which would fit best, so I got 2 diameters and some glue, and I'll bet it works really well. Thanks for the input. Now all I have to do is find a way to thread my muzzles. I have 2 Maadis that have unusal sized muzzle ends. The threads were removed, and the outside diameter is almost exactly .5" (at least according to my tape measure), and for the life of me I can't find any sort of die to fit something like that. Any ideas? I really want a slant break for the standard, and an RPK one for the long barrel. I figure if I can just get some kind of common thread on there, I can more or less put a sleeve on the barrel, and then thread the outside of the sleeve for the standard LH threads. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:24:50 PM EDT
1/2 x 28 (ar size)
then you can just buy your brakes 1/2x28
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:41:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By socandyman:
drill the holes out 1/64 undersized
and beat in a 3/8 dowl coverd in wood glue

let it to dry atleast 24 hours it will be just as strong as if it was never drilled

+1
Thats the way the gunsmiths do it... and you can even get hardwood dowels...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:18:56 PM EDT
Is my barrel big enough for the 1/2x28? I thought it had to be just a little bigger for that threading to work. I wish I had a set of calipers to check it more exactly, but I've measured both at least once or twice, and it's very close to .5 inches.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:32:13 AM EDT
Just use some open end wrenches to measure with. Get some standard & metric open end wrenches and slip the over the muzzle( as if you were trying to unscrew the barrel). which ever one fits the best, standard or metric, thats your size.
Top Top