Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/26/2006 8:28:57 AM EDT
I'm considering doing a pistol build from a Romy G kit....being that I live in WA state, I cannot build a Krink, since we have no SBR.

What I'm considering doing is having the local machine shop cut and turn the Bbl down approx 6 inches, cut & Weld the gas piston and the upper HG assembly to the appropriate lengths, redrill the gas hole in the Bbl, enlarging it slightly to assure enough gas to function properly.
The final thing is to manufacture a rear block with an intergral sling point, with NO provision for a buttstock. The rear block I want to have build will have the same screw pattern as a Polish UF, should I ever take up residency in a truly "free" state that allows SBR.

I have the 14mm L/H die and alignment tool to attach a US made Krink FH.

Any pitfalls or things to consider with this plan???
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:10:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 10:12:03 AM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
a quick, dirty and easy way to do the rear trunnion setup would be to take a standard rear tang, then chop the stock attatchment tang off of it, then use some 1/4" or even 3/8" steel and weld it to the bottom of what is left. file it to fit, then drill and tap it for a sling. cheap easy and effective. then if you get to a place where you can SBR it, just drill the rivets out, remove the old tang, sell it to someone who wants to build a pistol, then drill the stock for an underfolder or whatever stock strikes your fancy.

edit: this is going to be far easier and cheaper than building a custom rear block meant to use the same points as an underfolder
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:20:57 PM EDT
Thats what I did. Cut the tang off stock rear trunnion. Cut a piece of 16 ga. mild steel to fit in the rear of the receiver. Welded it up (mig). Little work with a sanding disc on a grinder. some sandpaper and there you have it.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:15:54 PM EDT
I wouldnt cut and well the piston. Have a machine shop cut one down for ya. HS shop class, pay a kit 20 Bucks and he'll do it for ya.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:27:32 PM EDT
well from what i understand you cannot own a sbr....but whats wrong with ordering the krink kit and not using the stock? i have a krink pistol im building now. i am waiting on a gt receiver(imagine that huh lol). now with the underfoler stock the rear of the trunion is already blocked off. rivet the rear trunion in and dont drill any holes for the stock. now if you ever wanna sbr it. jus drill the holes and file em out to the correct size. this way you can totally avoid the mess of shortening the barrel. not to mention krink kits are bad ass!. the are 10 in barrels with pistol style sights. most krink kits now are brand new never been fired or issued. just my .02 worth
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:33:12 PM EDT
Red- I thought about that, but wanted the flexibility to change rear block since the hole pattern isn't the same (IIRC the center rivet hole is a few mm higher on the UF). It's worth my time to do all of the finish work and just have this guy rough me out a basic block with three holes.

'Sides that, I just got a new accessory kit for the Dremel, and I'm dying to wear it out.

Originally Posted By Bucknakedracin:
well from what i understand you cannot own a sbr....but whats wrong with ordering the krink kit and not using the stock? i have a krink pistol im building now. i am waiting on a gt receiver(imagine that huh lol). now with the underfoler stock the rear of the trunion is already blocked off. rivet the rear trunion in and dont drill any holes for the stock. now if you ever wanna sbr it. jus drill the holes and file em out to the correct size. this way you can totally avoid the mess of shortening the barrel. not to mention krink kits are bad ass!. the are 10 in barrels with pistol style sights. most krink kits now are brand new never been fired or issued. just my .02 worth

You're correct, WA State does not allow SBR's.

The Krink kit Vs. using a romy "G"- price. $600.00+/- for the Krink kits, $140 for a romy w/ compliance trigger group from Cope's. Plus I already have the romy kits. Then there's the, "Yeah, I did that factor".
The machine shop I'm using isn't going to cost an arm and leg(Supposedly), and he's more than interested just to see how this turns out (He mentioned perhaps building one or two for himself once he's seen it done.)

Not a bad idea at all, just using the rear block without the center axis hole for the stock itself, but...I don't have the stock, especially since I don't plan on moving anytime soon.

BTW- I plan on doing a screw build for these, I just like the look.

FWIW, I figure that my Bbl's will be about 11.5"- anyone clue me in as to what to expect ballistically???
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:05:19 AM EDT
oh FYI: neither a pistol nor an NFA item needs compliance parts. save a few bucks on that
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:55:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
oh FYI: neither a pistol nor an NFA item needs compliance parts. save a few bucks on that

DOH!

NOW ya tell me..........

Screw it!....it'll just be my justification for the next two builds..."But honey! You see, I already have a bunch o parts, and just need to get a few more things...."
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:17:23 AM EDT
PM inbound on a guy who does OUTSTANDING work on pistol conversions, for a very good price.
Top Top