Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/20/2006 9:53:04 AM EDT
my first attempt with 18" bolt cutters taught me 2 things.  #1, you need to crank hard and 18" doesn't give you much leverage. #2, quench the jaws when grinding or you will weaken them.

i ended up breaking my 18"ers.  I see that HF has the 36" on sale cheap.  will those be ok?  it would solve the leverage problem.

thanks
Caspian
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
They would probably work, but 24 inch ones are plenty.  I think 36 would get too big and they would be too hard to handle.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#2]
cannot go wrong either way, if it is cheap enough get 24" and 36". Can never have too much leverage, If weight and size are not an issue.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, only issue I see is handling them...you need to get eyes on the rivets and make sure you smash them well and stay off the inner trunion surfaces...

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I would have to check, but I thought the original smashers that Pookie made were from 26" boltcutters.  And the suggestion to keep the jaws cool when you are grinding them is very good advice indeed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe Socandyman uses 36" bolt cutters for his riveting work.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for the tips, i'll give them a shot.

also, i'm using 3/8" rivets and the seem a little long.

are you guys trimming them down a hair?

thanks
Caspian
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#7]
just a hair
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
i use 36 inch cutters
i have tryed 24 and 18 also but i sold them
the 36inchers are alittle big but they dont break you can reach the bottom of an uf
and they are way more forgiving when you make them

i also heat them up as hot as i can get them with mapp torch thow hair on them and quench in water
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thow hair on them and quench in water

what's the purpose of throwning hair on them?  will dog hair work, i'm bald.

caspian
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thow hair on them and quench in water

what's the purpose of throwning hair on them?  will dog hair work, i'm bald.

caspian

It has to do with voodoo, so it's best not to ask.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
hey, want to hear what a fun fu$^ing evening i had.

i spent 45 minutes grinding the crap out of a set of 36" bolt cutters making sure never to heat them above where i could comfortably hold them.  i then began squishing rivets when on the third rivet......SNAP.  I broke my second set of rivet squeezers.  Damn i'm pissed.....and $12 broker.

what the hell is the trick?  am i squeezing them too hard?  how much do you need to squeeze them?

Also, i figured out that you have to take a touch more than a hare off those 3/8"ers.  the rivets are so sloppy looking, im going to have to remove them and do them again.

what's the trick to knowing how hard to squeeze?  when is enough enough?

Socandyman?

Thanks,
caspian

p.s. i used your "all-in-one-river-backer-plate idea".  it worked great.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you have a picture of your broken jaws?  Maybe you ground them too much or have one of the pinchers ground at an angle that would cause it to snap. Or maybe you're squeezing too hard.  A picture would be good though.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
i'll get a pict. tomorrow.  the cutters are in my detached garage and i'm all nestled in for the night.

i think the angles were right.  if anything, it may have been a combination of squeezing too hard and they were slightly thinner than socandymans.  not much though, they were still beefy.

caspian
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#15]
with the 36 inch cutter it takes vary little pressure
my 8 year old son (whos alittle girlie) had no prob with them

you want to make shure you round all your corners
a square corner will break
a rounded corner is alot stronger

and the hair is to case harden
it adds corbon to the steel or voodoo if you prefer it works tho :)
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, i think the culprit was not correct size or lack of rounding of the contact area.  i think i hbad been squeezing against the trunion rather than the rivet.

anyway, i bought another set today and finished the job with ease.

Socandyman, did you notice a large amount of dust created by grinding the 36" jaws?  i was blowing nasty black boogers all night.  the next set i wore a respitator and was back to normal.

caspian
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Can you please post a pic of the finished end of the cutter?  Mine showed up from HF and is in need of modification.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yeah, i think the culprit was not correct size or lack of rounding of the contact area.  i think i hbad been squeezing against the trunion rather than the rivet.

anyway, i bought another set today and finished the job with ease.

Socandyman, did you notice a large amount of dust created by grinding the 36" jaws?  i was blowing nasty black boogers all night.  the next set i wore a respitator and was back to normal.

caspian

I am still pulling out black buggers, and I grinded mine last weekend.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Can you please post a pic of the finished end of the cutter?  Mine showed up from HF and is in need of modification.

do a search for Socandymans modification or maybe he'll be along shortly to shar it.  that is waht i uesd as a primer for the modifiaction.

caspian
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
yea isnt that crap taist in your mouth fun lol
i always grind them outside

heres some pics just save the pic them you can zoom in and read the #'s

to make the plates you will need 2 pieces of 2x1/4x8 (length isnt really important)
clamp a bent flat to 1 of the bars and use a 5/32 to mark your holes
do the same with the other side
then drill a divet with a 19/64 drill where your rivets go
drill a 1/2in hole where the center support hole is ( diff 100% recs can be off by as much as 1/4 from eachother)
grind a small noths on the right plate for your selector stop and your good to go

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:42:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks

That can be tomorrows project.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top