Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 3:43:48 PM EDT
Are US parts required to convert a S12 sporter into a 12C type configuration (pistol grip) ?

There is an individual who says that no US parts are required since 922R only addresses "assembly" and that since you aren't "assembling" the S12 spporter but rater are "modifying" it, no US parts are required.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:56:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say yes you need to have US parts. The only way anything is legal to modify is if it is a US firearm; any imported firearm must remain in it's original configuration, or it is illegal. So, you need the 5 parts or whatever it is in order to change the configuration of the shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes a US FCG and a pistol grip will do the job.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#3]
3 parts, 4 if you add a muzzle device.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Being that you so ignorant of the law I will quote it for you again here...

"It shall be unlawful for any person to
assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic
rifle or any shotgun which is
identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited
from importation under section 925(d)(3)
of this chapter as not being particularly
suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting
purposes except that this subsection."

The BATF regs are very long and extremely specific. No where does it say that you can't modify an already assembled and legal weapon.

There is no need to interpret the law. It is very clear. If the BATF wanted a law for modifying an existing weapon, they would have one.

He's awfully sure of himself...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Bulletbait,

You had me worried there for a second, I had to go back to the Saiga-12.com forum to look up compliance again, I was sure that there were 13 parts on a Saiga... then I saw that you edited your post.  We're on the same page then...

*whew* glad my saiga's compliant LOL
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bulletbait,

You had me worried there for a second, I had to go back to the Saiga-12.com forum to look up compliance again, I was sure that there were 13 parts on a Saiga... then I saw that you edited your post.  We're on the same page then...

*whew* glad my saiga's compliant LOL

Had a brain fart
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top