Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:32:01 AM EDT
I found the link for the rivet squisher but am a little puzzled.  Do I grind down the "sharp" part that cuts the bolt until it is flat?  Then use a ball end mill to create the rivet head hole?  I just don't want to grind down too far where it wouldn't squish the rivet then.  After grinding, how far should the two sides be apart?  When I measured the bolt cutters it seemed the gap would be about a 1/4" apart.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't drill the rivet head divot in the jaws.  I drill a divot in a small piece of 1/4" mild steel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe there are a few ways of doing this, I remember seeing the way where you drill into a seperate piece of metal and then weld it on, but I also have seen the dimple drilled right into the cutter...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:31:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't drill the rivet head divot in the jaws.  I drill a divot in a small piece of 1/4" mild steel.

Then you just weld it to the jaws?  When the jaws are closed should the meet or how big of a gap should there be?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Then you just weld it to the jaws?  When the jaws are closed should the meet or how big of a gap should there be?

Nope, I don't weld it on.  My setup is similar to this...

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#5]
So basically I should just ground down the jaws so they are relatively flat.  Then just use a thin plate with the divet for the rivet head?  I'm just concerned about how far is too far where they won't pinch the rivet enough.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Most bolt cutters are adjustable to make a tighter squeeze.  If it doesn't squeeze the rivets enough, you can use a thicker plate or use two plates.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My set up is similar to Tapeo's and it works great. McM
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I gotta look around for a cheaper set.  The ones I saw cheapest in town were 14" and $15.  That the usual price on these things?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I gotta look around for a cheaper set.  The ones I saw cheapest in town were 14" and $15.  That the usual price on these things?

Do ya have a Harbor Freight in your area?

MI stores

bolt cutters

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#10]
here are mine i think they are the best
the plates hold all 6 rivets in place so your trunnion cant twist
and apply postitive pressure so they come out tight and flat

you just insert the rivets slide the plates over and crush the whole thang in the vise
theres also no balance trick trying to hold the rec/trunnion with 1 hand and the bolt cutters with your other 2 hands

if you save the pic to disk you can zoom in (pic is high rez)
and read the #'s
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Excellent
So how do I get the twist out of my receiver since I used the small plate method before seeing this one.
What size bit for the dimples? That's what came out worst on my build.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#12]
use a 19/64 bit
or endmill wichever you want
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
oh nice, there's a harbor freight in my area, I'll have to hit them up some time soon
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top