Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 3:01:43 PM EDT
I am wondering what others are doing to fit the wood stocks from kits. I've noticed that the global receivers must me slightly shorter that the orginial Romy receivers.

I hate that small gap left where the wood stock meets the rear of the receiver.

The only way I can think to fix it is to fill the old tang screw holes in the stock and drill new ones.

I that is the preferred method, what would be a good filler for the holes?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 4:55:20 PM EDT by SelectFire]
Yeah that bugs me too. Look at almost any WASR and the gap is visible.
I don't think re-drilling is a option.
I have thought of painting the visible stock gap part black to make it less noticable.
Hell I don't know.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:45:41 PM EDT
I cant find the picture, but the russian manual shows a gap and has fairly specific tolerances for it. Its supposed to be there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:16:12 PM EDT
what ya do is put the stock as far in the receiver as it will go, then you smack is as hard as you can on the floor, the wall, and the crappy car in your front yard.........or just use a dremel grind away little by little
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:44:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bloodsport2885:
I cant find the picture, but the russian manual shows a gap and has fairly specific tolerances for it. Its supposed to be there.

Damn, now my Romy isn't "authentic"...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:27:07 PM EDT
What I do to get a seamless fit is to grind/sand the rear of the trunnion so it`s flush with the rear of the receiver first. Dremel works for me. Then sand the sides and bottom of the wood so it slides in fairly tight with some bouncing off the carpeted floor. A little grease/vaseline applied to the sides/bottom of the butt helps it move in and out better during the fitting process. If it doesn`t go in all the way, I knock the butt back out with a 6" socket extension from inside the receiver. I then file/sand the stepped areas on the front of the butt that correspond to the steps in the rear trunnion so the butt can move further into the receiver. You will eventually get a seamless or practically seamless fit. When there sometimes is a hairline left, I have used black semi- solid dum-dum material for sealing automotive seams that is able to be mashed into the seams that renders them practically invisible and it stays put. You just roll a little pinch of it between your fingers, the force it into the hairline left and wipe it off as you force it in. Firing and heat have no effect under normal circumstances. Mine are done this way, and they look like a well fitted metal-to-wood high $ custom hunting rifle. Just takes a little time and patience, but the look is great. Hope this helps. J R...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:10:00 PM EDT
let me get this right

your putting vaseline on your butt so it slides in better ?

omg sry i couldnt help it
ky is the way to go its watter washable damp rag will take off all excess
yes you will get some dirty looks from the prude behind the counter when your buying it
and dont try explaining it cause somehow you go from a sick perv to a postal crazy whos gonna blowup the town

as for the buttstock fitting
when your building the rifle push the rear trunnion in about 1/8 and dont trim the rec
you will have to trim the top cover alittle but it takes care of the gap in the butt and will help make shure your carrier dosnt hang at the back
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:54:56 PM EDT
Well now, now. Your a real funnyf.r tonight, aren`t you? LOL. I do the fitting this way because mine are on built rifles. Good point on the KY, though, being soluable. I haven`t had to take so much off the trunn that the integrity is compromised. On several of mine, the trunn overhangs the rear rec by just a bit to preclude the butt from fitting up snug. Just a procedure that works for me on the gap issue. I appreciated the humor tonight socandy. Take care, J R...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:07:56 PM EDT
By the way, on the orig question, you can fill the out of position buttstock holes with 2 part epoxy. Make sure you press the epoxy down into the old screw holes to fill the holes solid. Let it set for a few days to fully cure. Do the fit procedure I described in the prior post. After you have the stock fitted where you want it, mark the new hole postions thru the tang and drill them about 1-1&1/2 inches deep, depending on your screw lengths. It helps to lube the screws when putting them in the new holes. Hope this helps, J R...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:18:17 PM EDT
Put a romy or polish wire side folder on there and you wont have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:53:46 PM EDT
It's an AK for gods sake! That is the way it's supposed to fit. Geeze. It's a silk purse sows ear sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:18:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By socandyman:
let me get this right

your putting vaseline on your butt so it slides in better ?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:27:11 AM EDT
Do what Fleabus says:

"I then file/sand the stepped areas on the front of the butt that correspond to the steps in the rear trunnion so the butt can move further into the receiver"

I've found that this will make the biggest difference in your fit. I've tried sanding, filing and even smashing the butt of the stock on the floor to seat it all the way into the receiver but none of it made a big difference. Once I sanded the face of the steps, it sucked right in and ssat flush. Wood filler will take care of the existing holes.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:07:27 AM EDT

This is true. The spec requires a gap of about 1 mm so that the rear edge of the receiver won't chew up the stock under hard use. They do it on both wooden and polyamide stocks.

When fitting the buttstock, the steps on the front end should contact against the steps in the mounting block, and nowhere else.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:08:32 PM EDT
My AKs get looked at more than given hard use. Russian specs? I don`t anticipate hearin someone say, " hey buddy, that doesn`t meet Russian specs" when they may see my AKs. Only specs my guns meet are my own. Gaps look crappy, like a p poor fit. A silk purse/sows ear. Yours may be sows. I like mine to shoot/function great and look as nice as I can make`em look in their traditional form. Anyway, no disrespect intended to anyone. Everyone has his opinions...Just the way I handle my firearms. My .02. J R...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:31:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Richard-ar15:

This is true. The spec requires a gap of about 1 mm so that the rear edge of the receiver won't chew up the stock under hard use. They do it on both wooden and polyamide stocks.

When fitting the buttstock, the steps on the front end should contact against the steps in the mounting block, and nowhere else.

Finally!

+1!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:49:42 PM EDT
OK, I`ll play. I tell ya`ll what. We`re at a gunshow. Let`s say there`s 5 SLR105A1Rs on the table to buy. Or 5 Poly Legends on the table to buy. Alike in ALL ways but one. 4 have the 1MM butt gap, 1 doesn`t. Buttstock on it fits up snug. I`ll bet 99-100 out of 100 knowledgeable AK enthusiasts are gonna buy the best fitted gun. And they`d walk away happy they got the AK that was fitted better. I`d run that experiment any time. I`ll end with that. Some of ya`ll are something else, however out of all this I did learn that Russian workers can explain to inspecters poor fits like others do. Just claim it`s part of the master plan. Take Care, J R...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:26:42 AM EDT
wether or not spec is a 1mm gap
ive had few 70's russian kits 8-10
and none had any gap to speak of
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:37:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By socandyman:
wether or not spec is a 1mm gap
ive had few 70's russian kits 8-10
and none had any gap to speak of

I've only seen references to a gap for AK-74 rifles, and I presume your kits are AKM.

Perhaps it was a change in the factory specs for the AK-74 rifles and later?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:47:10 AM EDT
omg i wish they where 74's

akm's they where and its vary possible your right
ill be the first to say i dont know
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:04:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 5:07:53 PM EDT by r50maier]
Instead of all the sanding, why don't you just put the rear trunnion in with the stock on to see how far in the receiver the trunnion needs to be? I set my last one in just under 1mm and there is no gap.

**I guess socandyman beat me to it.**

when your building the rifle push the rear trunnion in about 1/8 and dont trim the rec

Top Top