Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/7/2006 10:25:38 AM EDT
Hello all,

I just bought an AMD kit, I plan on building it soon but I need to know what are my options to make it a non-sbr.  I do not wish too register this as an SBR.  Thanks!

-instante
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I've read elsewhere that even with the extension, the AMD is still a tad bit short when it comes to measurments with the stock folded.  What is the ATF's requirements in regards to the AMD?  Someone said that overall measurements, with the stock folded, should not be shorter than 26".  Elsewhere, they say that the measurements are in regards to the stock being fully extended...oh my aching head.  Could someone clear this up and, if possible, provide a link to that information?  I imagine I can look through the ATF's firearms regulation manuals, but that ruins my bedtime reading.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I am no lawyer, so take it with a grain of salt. I have always read that measurements are taken with stock extended. I think a lot or guns would fall short if this was not the case.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am no lawyer, so take it with a grain of salt. I have always read that measurements are taken with stock extended. I think a lot or guns would fall short if this was not the case.

Incorrect, the measurement is taken with the stock in the folded position.

You could always build it up as a pistol if you want to keep the original barrel length.

McM
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Incorrect, the measurement is taken with the stock in the folded position.

You could always build it up as a pistol if you want to keep the original barrel length.

McM

perhaps in michigan, but not in the rest of the USA
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I know this topic has been beaten to death on numerous occassions, but it always seems to remain vague.  I've got 3 AMD65 kits waiting to be built, so that's why the rulings have struck my interest now.

" Firearm. (a) A shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18
inches in length; (b) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as
modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or
barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (c) a rifle having a barrel or
barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (d) a weapon made from a rifle
if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches
or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (e) any other
weapon, as defined in this subpart; (f) a machine gun; (g) a muffler or
a silencer for any firearm whether or not such firearm is included
within this definition; and (h) a destructive device. The term shall not
include an antique firearm or any device (other than a machine gun or
destructive device) which, although designed as a weapon, the Director
finds by reason of the date of its manufacture, value, design, and other
characteristics is primarily a collector's item and is not likely to be
used as a weapon. For purposes of this definition, the length of the
barrel having an integral chamber(s) on a shotgun or rifle shall be
determined by measuring the distance between the muzzle and the face of
the bolt, breech, or breech block when closed and when the shotgun or
rifle is cocked. The overall length of a weapon made from a shotgun or
rifle is the distance between the EXTREME ENDS OF THE WEAPON measured
along a line parallel to the center line of the bore."

Extreme ends should be maximum length (OAL)?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've read elsewhere that even with the extension, the AMD is still a tad bit short when it comes to measurments with the stock folded.  What is the ATF's requirements in regards to the AMD?  Someone said that overall measurements, with the stock folded, should not be shorter than 26".  Elsewhere, they say that the measurements are in regards to the stock being fully extended...oh my aching head.  Could someone clear this up and, if possible, provide a link to that information?  I imagine I can look through the ATF's firearms regulation manuals, but that ruins my bedtime reading.

Some states laws say that the barrel has to be a min. of 16 inches, the tapco brake brings the barrel to around 16 inches i dont know the exact length, here in michigan the rifle can not be less than 26 inches. Our law states that a weapon is only considered a rilfe if it is over 30 inches, anything under 30 to 26 inches has to be registered as a pistol. So if i installed my tapco brake on my amd65 it would be under the 26 mark and would be contraband/illegal/prison as it would be a SBR. I had to custom order a brake from a maker over on gunco for it to be correct. McM
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Over at the Gunboards, someone is making this:

It's a plastic trunion extension that permanently attaches to the rifle.  Not sure how far along he's gotten, but I may just contact him to purchase a couple to reassure myself.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top