Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:01:16 AM EDT
Congratulations. Nice looking rifle. Looks like you did a fine job. It's gotta feel great.

Did you use the all thread to pull the barrel into the trunnion?

If so, did you use the REAR of the receiver as the anchor point for pulling the barrel in? I've not used all thread so allow me to learn from you on this one. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:09:18 AM EDT

It's my 4th build.

And I did you use the all thread method.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:12:44 AM EDT
Kryten, she looks great. I'm in the middle of an AMD65 build right now and am planning on using the all-thread method for reinstalling the barrel. I'll let you know how it comes out. In anycase, thanks again for sharing the pictorial progression of your build.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:20:31 AM EDT
Can you please tell me how to use the all thread method? thank you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:50:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 10:53:57 AM EDT by KnobCreek1]
I thought the pictures pointed out the usage of the all-thread method nicely. Basically, you get yourself a 1/4" all-thread rod from Home Depot (about $5), weld it to a piece of steel stock. Run the rod through the receiver/trunion/barrel assembly. Butt the receiver up to the steel stock, place some washers at the barrel crown end, place a nut, then turn to press the barrel back in.

editted: In Krytens picture though, it appears as if he's turning at the rod connector on the steel stock side.. I have it where I turn the nut on the barrel end.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:57:33 AM EDT
The all thread method is:

Have your barrel and trunion dressed, oiled and ready to go.

Lightly clamp your receiver into a vise.

Insert your barrel into the trunion and line it up.

Take a 1/4" peice of all thread, run from the rear of the receiver, thru the trunion, thru the barrel and out the muzzel end.

Place a flat peice of metal on the receiver end, and a couple large fender washers on the muzzle end (SEE PICTURE #1)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c94/kryten01/AMD63/AMD8.jpg

Turn the nut on the muzzle end slowly and it will draw the barrel back into the trunion. All thru this process, the barrel will make "popping" sounds. When you get close to the cross pin lining back up, go slowly. For me, 4 out of 4 times it has "popped" near the end and lined up for the cross pin perfectly.

Here are some pictures on each end.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c94/kryten01/AMD63/AMD9.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c94/kryten01/AMD63/AMD10.jpg
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:03:33 AM EDT

Sorry about that, I only had one nut so I did use a rod connector on the receiver end.

But I do turn it from the muzzle end.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:29:44 AM EDT
Good write up, this should be Tagged. I've been beating them in with a hammer, i'm trying this way on my next build. McM
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:04:14 PM EDT
Gentlemen:

That all thread idea is brilliant. You guys amaze me with your ingenuitiy for assembling AKs. The tape trick, the drive bolts, the ground bolt cutters for rivits - simply amazing.

You guys impress the heck out of me. Thanks for all your ideas and advice. I havent made one yet, but wiil soon.

Hats off to all you fine ARFcommers, and Yankee ingeniuty.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:01:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 7:21:44 AM EDT by Kryten]
I got to takeher to the range Saturday evening.

After one FTF (the very first round), it was 100%

I've also been playing around with a graphics program to make the pictures smaller.

Here it is in it's final finish, along with it's little brother.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:35:54 PM EDT
Nice build. How did you locate your trunnion holes? The holes look perfect.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:38:52 PM EDT
aztroop,

Both were build on a Ewbank's receiver with the front trunion holes factory drilled.

Never had a problem with them.

The AMD-63 is on a Gen II receiver

The AMD-65 is on a Gen I receiver

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:05:23 PM EDT
Kryten the holes lined up perfect on both those kits. Like I said nice builds. I might have to look into the Ewbanks genII receivers.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:15:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/9/2006 6:06:58 AM EDT by Kryten]
The only thing I had to do to the receivers was trim the ejector down.

I like to do it myself so I can fit it to the bolt.

My next project is an FEG-85
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:58:29 PM EDT
Did you not have to trim the reciever for the 65 sidefolder assembly?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:07:59 PM EDT

Conju,

Yes, the receiver had to be notched for the sidefolder on the AMD-65.

But you would have to do that for any receiver you used for that rifle.

It's pretty easy to do with a dremel.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:24:17 PM EDT
Thanks Kryten! I am going to try the all thread method soon. I'm a little concern that the receiver might warp. Did you ever run into this problem using the all thread method? This idea is brilliant! I'll let you know how I made out and I will post some pictures!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:20:36 AM EDT

Here is an update to the allthread method.

People are concerned that the rear of the reciever my bend or warp. I've never had that problem, but you can also try this.

Take your rear trunion and slid it into the rear of the receiver and then put a C-clamp on the outside. This would re-enforce the rear of the receiver.

I'll try to post a picture shortly.

Here is a group photo...I built all but 3 of them

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2006 5:31:51 PM EDT by ozzy_the_nuke]
You can use your bolt carrier (without the bolt of course) to pull against instead of the receiver. Just run the all thread through the carrier. Also, if the going gets tough, just tighten the all thread as far as you feel comfortable and give either end a rap with a hammer. The barrel will then move in a little. Kind of like knocking a barrel pin out using a vice and a hammer. Tighten again and rap it again. Repeat until you are done. My AMD 63 barrel/trunion was so tight that I snapped a 5/16 rod before I realized I could use a hammer for encouragement. OBTW I use a 5.16 rod with just a little turned off the threads. It doesnt take much. 5/16 is .3125" 5/16 is a lot stronger than a 1/4.
Top Top