Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/2/2006 3:29:51 PM EDT
Two small "smears" on the barrel where it fits into the trunion, + matching marks inside the trunion.  I've taken apart 6 different kits and never had this happen.  Is it a problem?  Did I do something wrong?

I had the barrlel/trunion assy soaking in penitrating oil for weeks...came off quite smooth.

I don't get it, what happened?

k  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It won't hurt anything that much I know. And out of maybe 30 barrel pressings its happened to me twice. I'm sure someone else will post a cause.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The first two rommy barrels i pulled scored the barrel like ur talking about, on my third one i ran a copper bristled bore cleaning bit in a drill with some kroil for lube and cleaned out the barrel pin hole and never had the problem after that. Small pieces of whatever get caught inside of the barrel pin hole and when you go to pull the barrel get wedged and burr the barrel. Make sure you clean the hole where the barrel pin goes in next time. As far as a fix just lightly use some emery cloth and polish it just a little to kinda deburr it and you'll be fine. McM
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
its from a bir on the trunnion from the barrel pin hole
it wont make any diff you can buff it out if you want but it wont show after the rifle has been refinished

this is a prob on the yugos tho
the barrel on a yugo isnt even close to as hard as a norm barrel and will scar vary badly to the point of ruining the barrel
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#4]
The "smear"marks are actually on the bottom of the trunion, not the top where the barrel pin goes in.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The only galling I have had is right where the barrel pin is. My theory is that the barrel is inserted in the trunnion and headspace set before the pin hole is drilled. If all of the parts are drilled as an assembly, there would be a burr left that would cause the galling. I might be all wrong, but that's my theory.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The only galling I have had is right where the barrel pin is. My theory is that the barrel is inserted in the trunnion and headspace set before the pin hole is drilled. If all of the parts are drilled as an assembly, there would be a burr left that would cause the galling. I might be all wrong, but that's my theory.

Your theory makes sense to me.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top