Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 8:59:24 AM EDT
And it didn't go well. I thought it would have gone great but spent hours in the gagrge and me and my buddy weren't able to get the barrels out. We tried the heat method but I was afarid to heat the barrel up to much and warp it. So we are trying the freezer method and hopefully we can pound those pins out today. We don't have a press YET.

ANyhow we came up with a few questions throughout the rivet removal process. The first is in regards to the rear trunion. Are those rivets in it just two bug long rivets that go from one side to the other? Second should we be having to drill all the rivets before we pound them out? Is WD40 enough or should we go ahead and buy some Kroil?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
The rear trunnion rivets do go all the way through and give alot of people trouble drilling them out. My advice would be to grind them flush with the trunnion, centerpunch them on both sides. Don't use a drill bit smaller than 1/8th to help prevent breakage. Go real slow with lots of oil. Drill about half way in from both sides. You can try to punch them out at that point or step up the bit size and hit them again.

Have fun and good luck with your build
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Just go to Autozone and get a pulley puller for $20.  Barrel out it a minute.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just go to Autozone and get a pulley puller for $20.  Barrel out it a minute.

Guess I should have clarified a bit in my first post. We weren't able to get the barrel pins out last night. I have a gear pully to get the barrels out but have to get those damn pins out yet.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm currently doing my 3rd and 4th builds simultaneously and applying what I've learned thus far from my previous builds.  I've been freezing the barrels, or for the most part, leaving them in the garage overnite, prior to pounding them out with the press.  As for the rear trunion revits, I've been using a 9/64th carbide drill bit and slowly drilling them out about a quarters of the way down.  Then I'd take a 5/32nd punch to punch them out.  On my previous builds, I drilled all the way straight through, but I've found that it's just as easy to drill them out partially.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
i have removed 2 barrel pins so far the first i used my 99 dollar press using a 1/4 inch diameter die i made from a die punch. my first attempt with the die failed because it was to long and bent i then shortened it from 1inch to a 1/4 inch length. so now on the first gun i put some pressure on it and tapped on the bottom of my press and it popped loose on the second gun as soon as the presure built up it popped loose. so far removing barrel pins has been easy for me

oh by the way my kits are just the 99 dollar romy g kits

good luck
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top