Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/25/2005 5:54:40 PM EDT
I want to know if there are any opinions?  I had a cheap one from Big lots about 10 years ago and the spindle would never center.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the cheapo from harbor freight.  I think it's "central machinery" brand.  It has a keyless chuck and was $44 on sale.  Works fine for me.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the chuck centered or does it wobble?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
the center is fine on them
seems that the larger 1 sucks and are way off (dad has 1)
but the little table tops 1's work great

just wait till they go onsale to get 1
take the extra cash you saved and buy a new chuck and key
the chuck they come with is totaly worthless
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
SoCo, what is wrong with thier chuck?

I have had one for a year, seems ok.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
the holes for the key egged out and you cant use the key to tighten it anymore

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got that cheap 40 dollar Harbor Freight drill press. What vise do you use on it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I too bought one of those $40 cheapy drill presses. In the tradition of cheapy tools , I bought a cheapy vice for it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=30999
The problem I found was that the holes on the bottom of the vice, did not match up with the holes on the drill press table, and I could only put 1 bolt on to secure the vice. What I did instead was to use 2 spring clamps on either side of the vice, to secure it to the drill press. It seems to be working well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Another +1 for the HF $40.00 Drill press, That thing has saved me more time and money that what I paid for it. Throw on the 2.5 inch DrillPress vice and you have a good combo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 16" Delta, it works great for everything
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the cost apsect of the HF, but you get what you pay for.  I bought some brass drifts, brass hammer ,etc. from them (because I could not find them anywhere else).  I would not be so afraid concerning hand tools.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I like the cost apsect of the HF, but you get what you pay for.  I bought some brass drifts, brass hammer ,etc. from them (because I could not find them anywhere else).  I would not be so afraid concerning hand tools.

Yup ya sure do get what you pay for with the drill press....A good deal.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone have a link to this press. I can't seem to find it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no such thing as a decent cheap tool, and Harbor Freight is the home of throw-away tools.

I did weeks of research a couple of years ago before I settled on a free-standing 15" drill press.
Here is what I learned.

If you want a drill press, you first need to decide whether you will be drilling more in wood or metal. Quite suprisingly, when you look at drill presses, the majority you will see are better suited to drilling wood, and I fact, more of the product lines are aimed at the wood working hobbiest. It is in this capacity that the Harbor Freight junk will be adequate.

But to handle metal, and drill straight holes in metal with repeatability in alignment and depth, that is where the more expensive drill presses come in. See, the cheaper tools have chucks that are sloppy and cannot be replaced with better ones like a Jacob chuck. Spindle in the HF junk is sleeved instead of being supported by high quality ball bearings. The motors are weak and you will notice the stepped speeds are higher to compensate.

Delta is a well known brand, yes. But it has had it’s share of complaints, and should be considered the entry-level drill press. After that, you have the Jet models, Ridgid 15" floor model and the Sears models. Then you get into the serious stuff that Grainger sells, like the Dayton line.

The Ridgid 15" floor model is the stealth champ. DP1550 15" Drill Press  I bought one two years ago, after exhaustive research, and it has been a gem. I’ve used it for a variety of metal drilling products. I bought a Sears drill press vice & another idler pulley system that allows me to slow the press below the advertised 300 rpm.

At ~250 rpm the depth gauge & lock are good enough to trim brass rifle cases . . it’s that accurate!

In conclusion, the cheaper drill presses are no bargain. A properly selected quality drill press is an asset to any home shop. BTW: You can often find 1960's- 70's Sears drill presses on eBay. They were really fine machines with very accurate heads. They aged well, and while heavy, if the auction in within driving distance, should be seriously considered.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There is no such thing as a decent cheap tool

ummm....

You do know that we are talking about AK rifles in this section of the board right?..
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
i have a Delta i got at Lowe's for $100...to me $$$  well spent

absolutely no wobble at all
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#16]
That is what I am thinking.  A bench top model would probably suit 95% of my needs.  I am thinking a Delta or Ryobi.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

If you're talking about the cheap $40 drill press, I don't think it's on sale on the website. Only at the store.

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44506

^- not sure if this is the exact model but its very close
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're talking about the cheap $40 drill press, I don't think it's on sale on the website. Only at the store.

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44506

^- not sure if this is the exact model but its very close

That is the one...

I notice a small amount of wobble if you try and force the bit, I have been building AK's with this press and have had no prob in the last 7 rifles it has been used on. and only    $40.00..
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#19]
heh. Screw the brand man. Freight harbor all the way.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:14:10 PM EDT
[#20]
One - if money is tight - Harbor Freight is just fine, it will get the job done.

If you have the cash and it doesn't hurt, step up to the best you can afford.  Spend like a rich man and you'll save like a poor man (good stuff lasts a long time and WORKS well).  

That advice comes from old man time.  Worth exactly what you paid for it.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top