Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/24/2005 4:39:46 PM EDT
I knockedout the pin----the big one----the lower of the 2 there---and i used the 4" gear puller, but just went through a stack of pennies----then I figured maybe I got the wrong one and I punched out the smaller pin-----both came oout fairly easy I thought----still through a stack of 5 or 6 pennies------am I missing something----or not doing something------I just wanna get this F'ing bbl off soI can drill the rivets----any help is much appreciated----thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what could be causing you to go through so many pennies.  I just did my second build tonight and only had to use 1 penny and a 4" gear puller.  What I did was leave the barrel out in the garage over night and it got it nice and cold by this morning.  Then I punched out the barrel pin easily and took the assembly and clamped it down onto my vise.  Once it was nice and secured, I placed the penny on top of the bore side of the barrel and used the puller to push out the barrel.  Again, not sure what's holding you back from accomplishing this.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
this is a fair condition Yugo kit---so maybe the barrel is just in there real good, but I took 2 pins out---a large one which I am assuming is the bbl pin and a smaller one just above it---which I haveno idea what it is-----first build obviously----thanks for the info---I have it soaking in WD-40 and I will try the leaving it out in the cold thing----thanks pal---Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:59:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe the smaller pin is for the rear sight block.

Tom
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#4]
First off, I've yet to get this far with my kits, so I don't speak with actual barrel removal experience, but I do have a fairly long mechanical background and will state "soak that puppy in KROIL" for a while. The Kroil will penetrate, and if the barrel is able to come apart, the Kroil will help.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks---I'll give that a shot----I ground the point off of the front of the gear puller, so it doesn't just punch through the pennies---stacked up 7 pennies and put the hooks of the gear puller around the front of the trunnion----flat face of the gear puller went through 4 of them---all the way through and lodged a chunk in the chamber----bbl didn't move at all----went through some pics in the archive---I definatley have the right pin out----pin came out super easy----this F'ing bbl is driving me nuts----will try the Kroil---thanks again all
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Try putting a piece of steel between the puller and the penny.  something near the size of a penny. I use a press and a 5/8" steel rod 6" long, with a penny to protect the chamber.

John
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I just use a nickel and the gear puller.  It puts a good divet in the nickel, but always comes out.  Yours must be in there alot better than mine were.  I second the kroil.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I went through a bunch of pennies on a Romy kit.  I was using the harbor frieght puller.   I finally broke down and bought the good one from O'Reillys - $28!!!  Ouch!

Anyway, that muther finally made a POP and I thought I'd broken something, but it had just broke loose.  It still took 10 minutes of cranking, but it finally came out.

I also used a C-clamp to keep the jaws tight against the trunion.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I went through a bunch of pennies on a Romy kit.  I was using the harbor frieght puller.   I finally broke down and bought the good one from O'Reillys - $28!!!  Ouch!

Anyway, that muther finally made a POP and I thought I'd broken something, but it had just broke loose.  It still took 10 minutes of cranking, but it finally came out.

I also used a C-clamp to keep the jaws tight against the trunion.

I clamp it all down in my vice and use my impact wrench to turn the drive bolt....pushes it out in about 20 secs.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#10]
freeze that bad boy
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#11]
If a barrel is hard to get out.  How hard is it to put it back in?  Most people just hammer it back in right?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Also, newer pennies are made of zinc, not copper and they break/tear easier than copper.  not as malleable.

Find pennies from the 70's.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:26:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If a barrel is hard to get out.  How hard is it to put it back in?  Most people just hammer it back in right?

When I reinstall the barrel, I normally tap her in a bit with a rubber mallet, make sure things are gonna go in straight, then use my press to put it back in.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top