Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/17/2005 4:04:53 AM EDT
Is there any recovery after filing a portion of the top rails to narrow? Maybe TIG a small extension and grind?

Any help would be appreciated. Its for a romy underfolder

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:07:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Too narrow, as in the bolt carrier comes off the rails?  Or too narrow as in, not as per the drawing measurements?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:36:03 AM EDT
[#2]
bolt carrier actually pops out of the rails due to the upward pressure of the hammer.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#3]
You might be able mig weld a bead on the rails and file it down. Be a B*t*h to get at the undersides though.
A really good welder might be able to tig a very small bead on the edges.

John
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I may have filed a little too much off the upper rails also! The bolt carrier does not "pop out" but there is noticible side to side play. How much side to side play is acceptable?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If the distance is slight, you could try to put a slighter shorter crossmember in and pull the sides closer together.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah Ha! That's an excellent idea Rev.! I'll give it a try! Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#7]
If the bolt carrier comes out when you retract it all the way the simple fix for that is to install a buffer, I had that same problem on my AMD65 build and the buffer fixed it. McM
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#8]
motorcityman

could you explain more about the "buffer"

thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If the distance is slight, you could try to put a slighter shorter crossmember in and pull the sides closer together.

That's exactly how I fixed one of my screwed ups a while back.  The rifle functions flawlessly.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top