Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 7:56:27 AM EDT
I proceeded to tear down my romy kit for building (first build). Everything was pretty easy EXCEPT the rear trunnion. I couldn't get the rivet shanks out !
I couldn't hand punch them. I put them on a hand press, couldn't move them. Tried to drill them, but the pilot hole was crooked, so that stopped that idea. Then I milled a 3/16 hole partway through, then used a 3/16 hardened dowel to push the shanks out. That worked....problem is that the dowels are jammed tight in there. I think they are broken in there too!
hindsight says grease or anti-sieze should have been put in first.

I think I'm gonna have to look for a new rear trunnion unless someone here has some ideas.

John
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Rear trunnions are available at a pretty cheap price, you just have to look, i think centerfire has them. To get them out can be a pain, I mount them in a drill press vice, center punch them and drill slowly to get them out, I've taken several out without a hitch doing that way. McM
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Copes has rear trunions for 20 bucks.

www.copesdist.com/ak47.htm
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I initially tried using the 3/16", but went down to the 5/32" after the 3/16" felt tight.  The smaller bit worked great, so that's the one I use now.  The extra material follows the bit out every time.

J
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#4]
When drilling rear trunions or Yugo front trunions for that matter; use a smaller bit than the rivet by half or more to start with. The rivets are metric and equal a 5/32" size ARO. Using a small bit allows you some fudge room when you change to  drilling with a larger bit. Use plenty of lube (I use Tapmagic as it is great) while drillling and go slow.....removing the drillings frequently. I have never broken a bit doing it this way with quite a few finished correctly....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I did my 2nd rear trunnion. It was a LOT easier.

First, I drilled through 3/32. Then I drilled about 1/2" deep with a 9/64.
Then I put a 3/8" long 1/8" diameter hardened dowel pin in the hole, and another on top of that, and pressed it as far as I could. Then I tipped the 3/8" long out (the first one gets a bit stuck,  thats why 2), and replaced it with a 1/2" long pin,  pressed as far as I could. I changed/added different length pins as I went along. This way, I didn't have to worry much about things getting crooked under pressure. I also used a needle nose pliers to hold the pins in place. Note that this was with only 3/8" and 1/2" long pins.

After the rivets came out, I was able to poke the first dowel out with a piece of wire through the 3/32 hole.

Piece of cake!

John
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:31:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and incidently, after measuring the rivets after removal, a #15 drill bit (.180) would be good for drilling out, as would a #14 (.182).  the rivets I measured were .183-.185 in diameter. I haven't measured the diameter of my replacement rivets, so I don't know how much they may have expand after squeezing.

John
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top