Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 7:20:47 PM EDT
What different methods are used for forming the rivet head?  Show pics if you have them!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't bother forming them round. I mash them as flat as possible, by mashing a little, then re-setting the press to make sure it is perfectly straight. This way the rivet head mushrooms symetrically.

When done there will be a pattern on the top, I usually hit it lightly with a file or sanding block, then break the edges...takes like 2 minutes. Then I call it done.

Hmmm actually I do remember one time I had some differnet rivets and I mashed it flat half way, then used a piece of metal with a cup for holding the round rivet heads using the Plinker jig....it came out good, but I think you need longer rivets with more material to form into a round head...I only did it once and it looked nice and round. Now I just use the above method.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I just completed smashing the rear rivets on my first build about 10 minutes ago.  Basically, I used a dremel to form a bowl on a crush plate that came with a trigger jig.  After I made sure that a rivet head fit in it, I put the crush plate on the other non-crushed side and put the entire rear section in a vise.  Came out perfectly.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top