Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/7/2005 10:13:46 AM EDT
I recently finished assembly of my first AK build.  It's a Bulgarian Plum -74 kit on an OOW reciever.  It is awaiting test firing and then finishing.  I have an AMD65 kit waiting and a Polish underfolder kit on the way (only have one more 7.62 receiver at the moment, though).

So...I'm thinking I should lay in something else to build.  I'm thinking that I should get an FAL kit now while they're available.  I ask here because this is where I started my "building" life (I don't count assembling an AR as the same thing).  As AK builders, what do you think about building FALs?  I read through a tutorial on building an FAL and it looks like the only specialized tool really NEEDED is a receiver wrench for installing the barrel.  The rest looks pretty straightforward.  I'm leaning toward an inexpensive Imbel kit now and getting the upper receiver later.  Any and all comments on the subject are welcomed.  Thanks!

Rob
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
i'm the opposite of you.  I began building FALs a few years and have 7-8 of them under my belt.  I am working on getting the tools to build an AK from a flat.  So far i'm only up to building a jig.

For the FAL you'll need the receiver wrench, pin gauges to do headspacing, go/no-go gauges, & a big vise.  I think that's all.  it's been a year or so since my last build.  You missed the days of the $79 kits.

Have fun.

Caspian
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...I'm looking at a $229 Imbel kit.  Is there a better/cheaper kit to get?

Rob
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Timing is everything on a FAL build, gotta time that barrel. Roam around a little on FAL files. Also, AZ Response guy did a build it yourself Gun Plumber (Derrick?) book that used to be free. I built my first one from that and it works just fine. I never had to buy a barrel wrench, had one in the tool box big enough already.
Not hard to build except for getting the barrel timed. Additionally, you headspace the rifle with a pin (locking shoulder pin) that the bolt carrier locks on. If you need a custom one milled, there is an excellent guy that will make you one or sell you premade sized. I think he still offers this service. Vanden Berg Custom

Good luck if you go into the foray.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I just moved to HKs..  while expensive..  they are a fun build
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I like 80% receivers and FALs are tough to get 80%ers for and diffucult to finnish the 40 or 60% or whatever they sell. So I've never done one, I owned one and wish I hadn't sold it though. FALs are cool, just not for me. 100%er shouldn't be a problem though.

You can build 1919s, Cobray derringers, Cobray M-11s/M-10s, varios sub-guns (problem is making them closed bolt), 1911s.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You can build 1919s, Cobray derringers, Cobray M-11s/M-10s, varios sub-guns (problem is making them closed bolt), 1911s.

Where do you get  Cobray kits?  I've seen receiver flats, but never parts.  How hard are they to bend?  I guess it's wishful thinging that I can bend them in an AK jig, huh?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#7]
ftf industrys sells m10 and m11 parts kits,you can also find them on gunbroker auctions.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I am in the same mindset teddydog. I haven't even started my AK build yet, stuuf is on the way, and already I am looking at what else I can build. I decided that I wanted to do a FAL build too. Now I am just trying to find the info to do such a thing.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]
http://www.ftfindustries.com/mac_kits.htm

Ouch!  Isn't that what new ones cost?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn!  Building stuff is addicting and fun.  I have ordered an FAL parts kit and a 1919A4 parts kit!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yes they are, Im gonna keep building foreign kits until
the barrel supply dries up or we get a reliable source of
american made barrels to match the foreign parts.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

...........................building a gun (legally) with no serial number and no record.............................priceless!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:12:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where do you get  Cobray kits?  I've seen receiver flats, but never parts.  How hard are they to bend?  I guess it's wishful thinging that I can bend them in an AK jig, huh?

I saw them @ gunco.net, 9mm & .45s. There used to be a place called "Et Cetera, LLC" in Copperhill, TN., I haven't dealt with them in years (I bought a few derringers) the last phone # I had was 1-800-642-1600, they do not have any web site, very low key, they haven't run any adds in SGN in about a year, or 2.
I've never bothered to build one, but I researched it a little, I think you pretty much just buy side plates, center section and mag well, then weld them together. In my experiance, you have to search for receiver parts and buy one piece @ a time, from three different people. I heard one guy, SKS man IIRC, had got busted for selling laser cut flats that were more than 80%.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#14]

I built FAL's before my first AK.  Nice rifles for shooting, and there's lot's of variety for collectors.

How are you at math? The headspacing takes some mental effort, but then it's just a matter of spinning the barrel on to the right place.

The FALFiles is the best place to learn.  Take advantage of their superb search engine to mine the archives.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Built AR clones 20-25 years ago.  Done a pile of AK's...next is a G3.  After that, maybe a 1919......
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top