Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 4:28:29 AM EDT
Jsut what does it do??? Yes, it reduces the rate of fire in full auto, but from what to what???

My previous AK was a Norinco, with no rate reducer, and seemingly no room for it either.

Now I see that some parts sets are being sold with this "rate reducer" included...

So, is there anything else it does??? Any other function it controls???

My interest is purely academic, but I could not see any reason to introduce such a thing in the 7.62mm AK (it was a Romanian kit, I think)...

Any comments??? Any pics???
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not a rate reducer. It is called that in the US because that's it's observable function.  It's purpose is to prevent firing a round with a partialy closed bolt, which will eventually damage the bolt and receiver locking lugs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmmm...Thanks for the replies!

So, is this part of a "product improved" AK???

Would the AK-74 have this also???

Would there be any benefit for a "rate reducer" on a semi-auto???
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#4]

in full auto, at high cyclic rates, bolts may expirience a 'bounce' or rebound action...basically a partial lock up condition. detonation in this condition is harmfull to the weapon as stresses are concentrated over smaller surface areas and to the shooter because of the risk of an out of battery explosion.

I saw pictures of a AK someone had an out of battery detonation with.

Believe it or not, they were bump firing.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:18:07 AM EDT
[#5]
HM, what was the extent of damage?  Was anyone hurt?  Best of all, have you any pictures?  I bump quite frequestly and I think we'd all like to hear about the circumstances.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Picts were posted at the other place.

I will try and find it.

Edit--Found it!

This was my reply:

The bolt carrier can bounce back momentairly out of battery by the springiness of the reciever itself. This is after the auto sear is tripped(in a full auto weapon, you do not have an auto sear) and the bolt can actually start to unlock before the return spring pushes it forward again.

If you have an AR-15, you can see this by removing the upper reciever and dropping the bolt carrier/ bolt straight down(remove the charging handle or push it fully forward into its locked position). It will bounce back up about a 16th of an inch and stay. In an AK the hammer retarder gives the return spring enough time to push the bolt carrier back into battery before it smacks the firing pin. In an AR, the buffer weights act like a dead blow hammer and smack the rear of the carrier just as it is trying to move reward.

You overrode the cyclic, semi-burned powder will have a whitish appearance.

Bump more slowly next time. Or don't bump at all.

The original thread:

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114368
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:42:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The Chinese AK's are made of a stiffer 1.5mm thick reciever shell with less flex too.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top