Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/14/2003 10:57:53 AM EDT
Does anyone know for sure what type of steel is used to make the AK stamped receiver? I have heard its 4130 and then also a low carbon steel in the 1000's series and then case hardened.

I was purchased some .040 thick 4130 to bend and then to heat treat. Will be stronger than the low carbon 1000's but will be less deformable (ie. more of a shattering effect if something bad happens.)

Anyone know what the real manufacturer's use?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:46:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Campy,

How much does destructive testing cost?  I have a bunch of Bulgarian receiver pieces that could be tested.  I guess the only other question I have is how accurate is the testing?

Brick
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Hesse AK recievers steel is 1050.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Would it not be better to heat treat it and then bend it to prevent warpage?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Would it not be better to heat treat it and then bend it to prevent warpage?

No, heat treating makes the steel more brittle and mostly would fracture if bent. Steel would been the best if it was in the annealed condition. You can bend it when it is normalized also, little more effort to bend but well hold up better when your machining on it. When you're all done, then you heat treat it and then temper it to reduce the steels brittliness while still retaining the strength.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top