Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2003 5:53:08 PM EDT
Ok, me and this rivet thing have gone round and round. (at least in planning)
Anybody have any other advice other than Plinker's jig? (of which is my first choice now) I like everything about it, except he is backlogged on production. I must have the right look, so I can't screw it.
There has got to be another way. I thought about tacking the rivets in from the inside and running beads around the trunions from the inside. Will that work? Or in the event of some future component failure would it be best just to wait it out and be able to grind away later?

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:03:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:01:03 AM EDT
CB
I haven't failed, I don't have the receiver yet. I should have it today or tomorrow. My concern is that I am too much of a perfectionist.
I talked to Troy and he is using a specialized sgueezer in his rivet work, he also said that Andre has the same rig as he does and it only cost hmmm $1500.

So, anyway how are you supposed to get blows on those at an angle like that without some sort of a jig, is everyone beatin' sideways on 'em?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:01:52 AM EDT
I sure wish someone could post some pics of the rivet process......I am picturing it in my mind but I would like to see it too.

Anyone?

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:30:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rickinvegas:
I sure wish someone could post some pics of the rivet process......

Hell yes!
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2003 8:25:45 PM EDT by Kevin_M4]
www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124615

i am not sure, you may have to register to gain access, this is from ak-47.net forums.

Here's the pics

Thanks to Plinker762 on gunsnet.net (ak-47.net forum) for all that hard work, he is selling this fixture.

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:18:14 PM EDT
Campy,
I built Plinkers rivet press today. It rules!!If you do the same, you'll throw away all those buck bars, air hammers, taps, cap screws, etc. I built mine from the pix on 47 net, and stuff I had around the shop. I didn't see the plans on this board till tonight. I winged it with a couple of my own ideas. Works great!
Pete
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:24:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By shortfal:
Campy,
I built Plinkers rivet press today. It rules!!If you do the same, you'll throw away all those buck bars, air hammers, taps, cap screws, etc. I built mine from the pix on 47 net, and stuff I had around the shop. I didn't see the plans on this board till tonight. I winged it with a couple of my own ideas. Works great!
Pete

PICS?!?

Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:44:50 AM EDT
That is the first time I've seen the pics. VERY NICE! It reminds me of the process I saw in Europe at the AK factory. Theirs was a large work station with quick change fixtures and a hydraulic ram. The pneumatic unit I have is alot faster. we are riviting several units at a time with no set up needed. Drop the rivit in the hole and push the lever. Also if your receiver holes are the correct size you don't need to counter sink your holes. The pressure and taper on the rivit will do it for you.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:04:02 AM EDT
Does anyone have any contact info for the guy making that fixture? What's he asking for one?

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 8:29:59 PM EDT
I "think" it's plinker762 at aol
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:02:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tec_Nine:
Does anyone have any contact info for the guy making that fixture? What's he asking for one?

take care,
Tec

I just bought one from him. I haven't gotten it yet, but from everything I have read about it, my expectations are high! THe price is $85 for the basic kit, plus $15 shipping. You can also buy the underfolder adapter that allows you to rivet an underfolder kit for an extra $15. His e-mail address is: Plinker762@aol.com
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:02:53 PM EDT
So you just position the riviet in the rec. and under the bug round thing. Whammo, and the rivites done?
Top Top