Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/18/2003 6:13:50 PM EDT
I'm building a couple of AK's and possibly a FAL or G3.

For the AK's I'm doing a bulgie 74, and a hungarian AMD65. Why the AMD? hell I dunno, I just want to. Parts are on the way.

I can't decide between the FAL or the G3 though. I'm finding good prices on the G3 in FAC. The FAL is pretty expensive everywhere I look, and from what I understand about %50 of the FAL recievers on the market are crap. I'm not afraid to try anything, but I wonder which is a better home job. A little welding/fitting/cussing doesn't bother me one bit, however the build must be doable without a machine shop.

What would you guys go for?

If I go with the G3, how is that alumnium reciever in the FAC catalog different from the stamped (aside from the obvious)? For whatever reason it says that it won't accept a collapsable stock.

I know this isn't exactly AK stuff, but I don't see a general gun forum anywhere.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:27:52 PM EDT
A couple of things.

You really should put your questions about each different of rifle in the specific forum. You may want to look in the H&K and FAL forums under The Armory - you'll probably get more specific and quicker answers to your questions.

Having said that the darkside is a great and friendly place for questions. I have never built a G3 but hear they can be tough. Fals arent that bad - Ive built 2, but alway end up selling them to friends that talk me out of them. I have just about screwed up the courage to build a '74. Where are you at in OK? Maybe we can build a few AK's together.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:28:39 PM EDT
A couple of things.

You really should put your questions about each different type of rifle in the specific forum. You may want to look in the H&K and FAL forums under The Armory - you'll probably get more specific and quicker answers to your questions.

Having said that the darkside is a great and friendly place for questions. I have never built a G3 but hear they can be tough. Fals arent that bad - Ive built 2, but alway end up selling them to friends that talk me out of them. I have just about screwed up the courage to build a '74. Where are you at in OK? Maybe we can build a few AK's together.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 7:03:07 PM EDT
Aaahh, the armory - never been there. I guess I should have checked that out first.

I'm in McAlester, OK. Are we close?

The G3 doesn't look too bad from some exploded drawings I've seen. Seems that the hardest part would be mating the cocking tube to the rec..

I'll go post in the armory, sorry about that.

If we are close, I'd be interested in stopping by.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:44:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 6:44:48 PM EDT
I'm in McAlester as well - small world!

Check your IM
Top Top