Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/26/2003 10:54:13 AM EDT
Which receiver should I get? I am thinking of a OOW or FEG.

Which parts do I replace with the US made ones. Should I use globals parts or ones from Kvar?

Where can I down load or buy and assembly poster of this rifle?

I know I will need to weld the underfolder in the open position. Is there anything else I need to do to be 922r compliant? What is the best cleanest way to hold it in the fixed open position?

Global says they can not press on the barrel onto my receiver by law. How should I press it on?.

I want to do as much of this rifle myself.

Who sells the best video of how to build one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 2:25:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Saleen,
I don't have answers to all of your questions, but here is what I can tell you:
1) The FEG is a properly manufactured rec that is hardened in all the right ways, and has the nice X and Y stamps over the FCG pivot pins however it is more expensive and doesn't count toward your US part count.  The OOW rec is by most accounts adequate for building up a kit but does lack some of the FEG's above features.  Other rec options:  Global is one day (allegedly soon) going to have a complete US made mil spec rec, but as of now is still vaporware.  However, all of these stocks are designed for fixed buttstocks and would require quite a bit of work to attatch the folding stock.  
2)For a stamped reciever rifle you need to add 5 US parts for compliance 6 if you're adding a foreign made muzzle device.  The most commonly replaced parts are:hammer, trigger, diconector, gas piston, pistol grip, buttstock and hand guards (2pieces but only count as 1 part).  You can also replace the magazine followers and floorplates, but that means drums are out of the question and you need to make sure you keep your magazines straight.  I don't know personally but the K-var and Global US FCG are about equal and most will tell you to live a little and get one of RSA's excellent adjustable trigger groups.
Unfortunately thats about the limits of my knowledge.  I am sure someone else like Campybob can give you the lowdown on welding the stock and pressing the barrel.

Good luck and happy building.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I know I will need to weld the underfolder in the open position.  What is the best cleanest way to hold it in the fixed open position?

Who sells the best video of how to build one?

Thanks

A dowel behind the button, replacing the spring, will prevent it from being able to be depressed, thereby locking it in place.

Good luck finding a FEG, If you do find one, be prepared to pay a overinflated price.

Here is a link to the best video.

http://members.tripod.com/~OhmsResearch/Ohmsresearch/Page_1x.html
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.

Should I consider making my own receiver? Would this count as 1 US part. Don't I still need to register it? How hard is that.

He says in his video that he does adress pressing on the barrel. Where can I find this info?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#4]
No matter if you build your own out of a 80%BentMetal blank or stamped flat, or buy a finished receiver from OOW or Hesse/Vulcan, it is still going to be a countable US part.

Actually you can't use a Hesse/Vulcan to build a PMKMS. Their seriel number and logo are right where you have to drill for the underfolder trunnion.

So now it's a easy choice. If you want to build it go BentMetal if you don't it's OOW

Barrel pressing info:

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127963&highlight=barrel+and+press
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Maxxx93,

If I understand correctly. I will still have to drill the holes for the underfolder if I buy the OOW?

I couldn't access the link for some reason would you mind cutting and pasteing it here please?

Thank you
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes, including the 5/8" hole in the center.

Drill 1/2" then use dremel to open to 5/8" using the trunnion as a template.

Here's a pic of a BentMetal blank I did for a PMKMS build.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p7425e0feb39a1ca96e172ce295772faa/fbce6f6d.jpg

They wont let you post an actual link here.
You have to C&P the URL into your browser box.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW!!

You did a great job. I still haven't made up my mind on making a receiver or buying one.

What are the pro's and con's of both?

What is involved to register the receiver with the BATF?

I am going to contact a local smith about pressing on my barrel.

How big of a press do I need to do it myself 6ton, 10, 20, 40?

I wonder if I could hand sand the diameter of the barrel down to fit tightly in the trunion with a whack from a brass mallet and then silver solder it in place once it's in place with high temp solder from Brownels?

Also...

If I understand correctly I need 6 US made parts to go on this parts kit to make it legal.

These are the ones that I know are avaliable

1) US FCG $50 (counts as three)
2) Us receiver $80 with FFL fees (counts as one)
3) US receiver blank $30 (counts as one)
4) US slant brake $10 (counts as one)
5) US gas piston $20 (counts as one)
6) US pistal grip $10 (counts as one)
7) US mag follower $3 (counts as one)
8) US floor plate $3 (counts as one)

How hard is it to remove the polish gas piston and replace with a US made one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Also, you can go to Fireingline and buy a milled receiver for tall dollars that the global underfolder parts kit will bolt right into.  It's about $375 but it's milled and it will increase the value of your rifle quite a bit. You will still have to press and pin the barrel.  There is no requirement to regester a receiver you build with the ATF.  You do have to put your name, town, and state on the receiver in letters at least 3/32 high.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Available US MADE PARTS FOR THE AK

(1) Receiver(if milled then you need 1 less)
(2) Muzzle Device(slant break, ect)
(3) Hammer
(4) Trigger
(5) Disconnect
(6) Gas Piston
(7) Butt-Stock
(8) Pistol Grip
(9) Hand-Guards (both count as one)
(10) Mag Floor Plate
(11) Mag Follower

NOTES:
FCG is #'s 2,3,& 4

Most builds done buy private individuals use #'s 1,2,3,4,5 and then pick either #6 or #8

If you are building a folder type then I would do #'s 1-6.
This will keep you with the factory pistol grip and will look the MOST original you can get considering there are no POLISH receivers in the US.
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW you only need 6 US parts to be legal.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top