Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 12:31:58 AM EDT
I thought some of you might be interested in the steps I took to refinish my AK on the cheap. I had a Maadi sitting around that was in dire need of refinishing. The original paint job was looking pretty bad. I didn't want to put a bunch of money into it but it needed something. I ended up using a can of Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II that I had from a previous project. The job was pretty easy. I stripped the original finish using a fine wire wheel. This took about an hour or two. Then I completely degreased the gun with a combination of M-pro7 and Gunscrubber. After completely dry I warmed the parts slightly with a heat gun. Then I sprayed on a light coat of Aluma-Hyde II. The paint/epoxy goes on very easily and flows very nicely. I let is dry for three days before putting it back together. So far the finish seems to be pretty tough. It's at least as good as the original paint. I've learned that this particular finish takes at least a week to fully cure. So I've put it back in the safe for at least that long until I take it out and shoot it. Overall I'm pretty happy with the results considering my total out lay is about 10 bucks. I even like the contrasting gray with the black furniture. Sorry the pictures aren't the best but my camera isn't the greatest. There's before and after photos at: myweb.core.com/photos/[email protected]/AKM

Check it out,
Wedge

http://my.raex.com/~sdenniss/.photos/AKM/AK1.jpg
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:28:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top