Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/18/2003 3:15:58 PM EDT
Just want to know if it is necessary to pin the barrel after pressing it into the receiver.  The old receiver was threaded, and the new receiver is smooth, so I had to press the barrel in.  I allowed .002" for the press fit, and had to make a special jig to do the press.  To me it is no different than pressing a barrel into a trunion on a stamped receiver.  This is my first build, so I want to be sure the press fit is adequate.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 3:50:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It MUST be pinned after headspacing. The action could push the barrel forward resulting in too large a headspace and

Mike
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
The threaded assemblies use the rear site block (and splines on the barrel to engage the rear sight block) that locks into the receiver to keep the barrel from unscrewing, unlikely as that is considering the 100 Ft pounds or so of torque that it takes to index the barrel. Thats why they ain't drilled for barrel pins.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  Actually on the right side of the receiver there is what looks like a starter hole about 6mm diameter.  It's only drilled about 1/8" or so deep, right where a pin should be for the barrel.  I didn't really pay much attention to it until I thought about the press fit.  What is the correct size pin to use?  Thanks for your help.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]
The correct pin can be found at Global Trades and probably at AA-OK.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:11:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The threaded assemblies use the rear site block (and splines on the barrel to engage the rear sight block) that locks into the receiver to keep the barrel from unscrewing, unlikely as that is considering the 100 Ft pounds or so of torque that it takes to index the barrel. Thats why they ain't drilled for barrel pins.  

So then the rear sight block is pressed onto the barrel & has to be removed before the barrel can be unscrewed from the receiver??

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats correct the rear sight base must go forward before you can unscrew the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!!  

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top