Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/7/2003 7:05:30 PM EDT
What is the legally established over all length allowed on a non-class III AK?

I have a new American buttstock on my MAK-90 that is too long for me and I need to cut it to a shorter length to fit my reach.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Overall is 26" ....Barrel must be atleast 16"
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
clarification needed...

Umm...

Isn't there another legal limit to how long the rifle can be from muzzle to buttplate?

26 1/2" gets me from the muzzle to the end of the stock tang... and then the stock starts...and adds another 13 inches or so...
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 8:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
clarification needed...

Umm...

Isn't there another legal limit to how long the rifle can be from muzzle to buttplate?

NO.

However, I will clarify a little more clearly! LOL...

The overall length MUST not be less than 26" from the muzzle to the farthest part of the stock. Add 1/8" for good measure.

The barrel (all permanent parts of it) must be at least 16" long (plus a hair)...Best measured with the hammer cocked and inserting a dowel into the barrel and marking it where it exits the muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Shorten a AK buttstock?

Were you in that movie, where the house fell on the witch? j/k
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, that's me, a munchkin

Seriously, the stock is a fiberform and has about 1.5-2" too long a trigger pull.  Plus I need another project after I get the Comp C mounted...

IT seems like a cool idea to put my own quarter inch steel buttplate on the stock long with a proper sling ring...

Or I may just order KVARs short stock set and internals...

Ah well, we shall see...
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 5:17:41 AM EDT
[#7]
What if it has a folding stock?

My Norinco is only 25 1/8" when the stock is folded.........

BISHOP
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#8]
As I understand it a pre-ban is excluded and grandfather-ed and a post ban can't have a folding stock unless it is pinned and can't fold anymore...(But others here know more than me as you can see from the prior posts)
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#9]
If you put a 74 style brake on you can pin it closed, and still be legal
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Where is the law that says it has to be fired from the shoulder?
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Check your state law as a few have 28" mininum (MI, CA??)
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top