Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/28/2003 1:30:39 AM EDT
OK first off I'm going to build an AK-74. I'm square on all the legalities and such. Now, I'd like to avoid buying presses, welders, and other crap that will cost $500. That would defeat the porpouse of building an AK. I could just build some high-dollar HK or FAL for that much loot.
So, I'm looking to cut some corners.
The rivets: Am I understanding this right that I can dodge resetting headspace by drilling out a good portion of the old rivets and tapping for hardened screws to avoid removing the barrel from the trunion? Please let me know, cause that will save me alot of headaches.
The receiver: Who has the good ones? Why are "80%" receivers not really 80% done? More like 5%. Are the receivers that FAC/Guns N Stuff sell worth a crap? They claim to be us made and 100% ready to roll.
http://www.gunsnstuff.net/p/019f.html
Is it worth it to build your own from three hunks of .125 sheet?

I've built race engines and hotrodded some Nagant rifles, but I'm iffy on semi-auto rifle builds. Any help you can give this cheapskate noobie would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the kit you are buying.
Some kits, like for instance, the PMKMS kits that global has (which are excellant kits by the way)already have the barrel pressed out of the trunnion.
So make sure you steer clear of them, if you wish to avoid having to press the barrel in.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The kit I am buying is going to be a Bulgarian AK-74 kit. From what I understand, everythiung is still there. Even the old shhet metal from the original reciever.So they just tore it apart enough to cut the receiver in half. Thanks for the heads up though.

Campybob: I sent you a mail. Thanks.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top